26

— — —

wonwoo stood at the entrance of the campus building, nervously fidgeting with his backpack straps as he waited for woozi. the tension between them had been palpable ever since their argument two days ago about woozi spending more time with ji-ae than with wonwoo. despite their differences, wonwoo missed his friend dearly and wanted to make things right.

as woozi approached, wonwoo could see the apprehension in his eyes. "hey," wonwoo said softly, not wanting to startle him.

woozi looked up, a small smile forming on his lips. "hey, wonwoo. i'm glad you wanted to meet up."

they stood there for a moment, the awkwardness hanging heavy in the air. finally, wonwoo broke the silence. "im sorry about the other day. i was being unreasonable."

woozi nodded, his expression softening. "no, i should've been more understanding too. i value our friendship, wonwoo."

relief flooded through wonwoo as they shared a tentative smile. it felt good to have woozi back by his side. they spent the day catching up, laughing and reminiscing about old times. the weight that had been on wonwoo's shoulders lifted, and he felt like things were finally back to normal.

as the afternoon sun began to dip below the horizon, they found a quiet spot on campus to sit and relax. they talked about their dreams and aspirations, sharing their hopes for the future. it was a perfect moment of peace and camaraderie.

but just as wonwoo was starting to feel truly content, ji-ae appeared out of nowhere, his presence casting a shadow over their reunion. he sauntered over with a smug smile on his face, his eyes flickering between wonwoo and woozi.

"well, well, well. look who it is," ji-ae said, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

woozi tensed beside wonwoo, his smile faltering. "ji-ae, what are you doing here?"

ji-ae shrugged nonchalantly. "just thought i'd come say hi to my favorite people. what are you two up to?"

wonwoo shot woozi a questioning look, unsure of how to navigate this unexpected encounter. woozi avoided his gaze, seemingly uncomfortable with ji-ae's sudden appearance.

"we were just hanging out," wonwoo replied cautiously.

ji-ae's eyes gleamed mischievously as he settled himself down next to them. "mind if i join? it's been a while since we all hung out together."

the tension in the air was palpable as ji-ae inserted himself into their little bubble of peace. wonwoo could sense woozi's unease and tried to catch his friend's eye, but woozi kept his gaze fixed on the ground.

as the conversation continued, ji-ae directed most of his attention towards woozi, laughing at his jokes and leaning in closer to him. wonwoo felt a pang of jealousy gnaw at his chest as he watched them interact.

"wonwoo, you've been awfully quiet," ji-ae remarked, his eyes glinting with amusement.

wonwoo forced a smile, trying to mask his discomfort. "just enjoying the company."

but deep down, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. ji-ae's sudden interest in woozi made him uneasy, and he couldn't help but wonder if there was more to his presence than met the eye.

as the sun dipped lower in the sky, ji-ae suggested they grab dinner together at a nearby restaurant. wonwoo hesitated, unsure of how to proceed. woozi glanced at him, silently pleading for guidance.

"sure, that sounds great," wonwoo finally agreed, hoping that spending more time together would ease the tension that had settled between them.

the three of them walked to the restaurant in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. wonwoo couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had settled in the pit of his stomach. he couldn't understand why ji-ae's sudden appearance had thrown him off balance so much.

as they sat down at a table in the restaurant, ji-ae continued to focus his attention on woozi, engaging him in conversation and laughing at his every word. wonwoo felt like a third wheel, an outsider looking in on a dynamic he didn't quite understand.

"wonwoo, are you okay?" woozi asked quietly, noticing his friend's distant expression.

wonwoo forced a smile, trying to push aside his growing unease. "im fine. just tired from classes."

but deep down, he knew there was more to it than just exhaustion. he couldn't shake the feeling that something was brewing beneath the surface, something that threatened to unravel the fragile peace they had managed to rebuild.

as dinner progressed, ji-ae's flirtatious behavior towards woozi became more pronounced. he leaned in closer to him, his hand brushing against his arm as he laughed at something he said. wonwoo felt a surge of anger bubble up inside him, unable to contain the jealousy that coursed through his veins.

"woozi, can i talk to you for a moment?" wonwoo interjected abruptly, unable to stand by and watch ji-ae's blatant advances any longer.

woozi looked surprised but nodded, excusing himself from the table and following wonwoo outside the restaurant. the cool night air enveloped them as they stepped onto the sidewalk, the sounds of the bustling city fading into the background.

"wonwoo, what's going on?" woozi asked, confusion evident in his voice.

wonwoo took a deep breath, trying to calm the storm raging inside him. "i can't stand seeing you with ji-ae like that. it feels like he's trying to come between us."

woozi's yes widened in realization, understanding dawning on his face. "wonwoo, i would never let anyone come between us. you're my best friend."

the sincerity in woozi's words softened wonwoo's heart, reminding him of the bond they shared. he reached out and clasped woozi's shoulder, a silent reassurance passing between them.

"i trust you," wonwoo said quietly. "but something doesn't feel right about this whole situation. remember when you told me ji-ae had no friends? it turns out i saw him outside of campus with a few people his age hanging around the convenience store."

"right? me and hoshi was hanging out, and he approached us with a group of friends, too." woozi nodded in agreement, a determined glint in his eyes. "lets go back inside and confront ji-ae together. we'll figure this out as a team."

with renewed resolve, wonwoo and woozi returned to the table where ji-ae sat waiting for them. his eyes widened in surprise as he saw the determination etched on their faces.

"ji-ae, we need to talk," wonwoo said firmly, his voice leaving no room for argument.

ji-ae looked taken aback but composed himself quickly, a sly smile playing on his lips. "What's on your mind, my two favourite people in the world?"

wonwoo slightly gagged, bu he took a deep breath, steeling himself for what was about to come. "we know what you're doing, ji-ae. and we won't let you come between us."

ju-ae's facade crumbled for a split second before he regained his composure, his eyes flashing with anger. "you have no idea what you're talking about."

but wonwoo could see through his facade now, could see the manipulation and deceit lurking beneath his words. he turned to woozi, silently conveying his trust and solidarity.

"woozi and i are a team," wonwoo said firmly. "and nothing will break our bond."

woozi stood by his side, unwavering in his support. together, they faced ji-ae head-on, ready to confront whatever challenges lay ahead.

the night stretched on as they talked and hashed out their differences under the dim glow of the restaurant lights. by the time they parted ways, the tension that had gripped them earlier had dissipated, replaced by a newfound sense of unity and understanding.

as wonwoo walked back to his house with woozi by his side, he knew that their friendship was stronger than ever. they had weathered storms together and emerged victorious on the other side.

and as they bid each other goodnight under the starlit sky, wonwoo felt grateful for the unwavering support of his best friend and confident in the knowledge that no matter what challenges lay ahead, they would face them together as a team.

— — —

yall im sorry if this chapter was cringe, i thought it was cringe, too.. but i had to get rid of ji-ae at some point...