The Prodigy

Days have passed and something has drastically changed between Veer and me since that night. He is still his broody self but he doesn't make fun of me or rather talk to me rudely anymore. If anything I find him staring at me more than usual.
It licks my spine everytime, a heat creeps up to flush my neck and cheeks but he never looks away. Not even when I catch him red handed... just like right now.

" Rei Di keep your head still. I am not able to do it properly."

" Oh hmm sorry Aju."

I drop down my head in my knee, aware of his burning gaze on my side profile. I was sitting cross legged in front of Ajuni's chair who was busy plaiting my hair into a French braid.

Darian was out with Ali to get sone medicines while the other kids were busy playing.

Ajuni liked indoors.

She loved braiding my hair like she did with her dolls and then embellishing them with flowers and ribbons.

The 6 year olds fantasies were too basic. I wish adults had fantasies as bare as this. Happiness would be so easily found.

" You have beautiful hair Aju Di. It feels like I am touching silk strands."

I smike back at her over my shoulder and her soft eyes met her brothers.

" What do you think bhai?"

Crap. My smile evaporates as I meet the beasts orbs. Something dark flashes in them, almost sinister. And my pale fingers suddenly looked more interesting.

I hear him getting up and approaching me and all my senses go on red alert.

What is he doing?

Why is he coming here?

I look down at his towering shadow engulfing me completely and next I know I feel Aju's soft petite hands on my hair replaced by the beasts large callous ones.

I was going to get up, feeling really awkward when his huge hand drops on my shoulder. And I felt like a tons weight has been dropped on me.

My old position holds.

" Veer-"

My words die down when his strong fingers comb through my strands and I hear my heart drumming in my ears. His strokes were gentle yet controlling. His every touch, a live wire bolting my spine uptight.

" What about I give a champi Aju? Can you get me the hair oil?"

The kids face gleamed in excitement.

" Yes! I just love it!"

I look up to find Ajuni dragging her wheelchair to a corner and examining the oils in a basket. She returns within in a minute.

Offering a blue bottle to her brother.

" Thank you Princess."

" Come Sit"

Veer opens Ajuni's hair and I find him running his fingers through her hair, just like he did with mine. Pouring the oil between his fingers, he messages Aju's hair and I find her smiling in bliss.

I just gawk at then.

An awww lingered at the corner if my lips.

He is so caring and gentle. No one can guess that he is the one who beats people to shit in the rink. These gentle fingers punch ruthlessly to live on blood.

How? How can a man have so many colours?

Which side is real?

They were smiling and giggling and a smile formed in my own lips. I can just sit here and stare at the brother-sister bond for hours. It was really sacred.