The Beast

A deadly silence follows as all the kids gather around in the lobby to look at Viraj. The kid was literally sweating under their scrutinizing gaze.

His right leg shakes in anxiousness and his small hands grip the edge of the sofa.

" Whats your name?"

" How old are you?"

" Is he going to stay with us from now on?"

" You don't have a family? Where is your mother-"

" Avik. Enough."

Placing the fruits in the kitchen I step out to stop the kids from pelting the poor boy with questions.

His grey eyes stay fixated at me.

Confused, lost and uncomfortable.

" Ajay. Can you get Viraj sone of your clothes that may fit him? "

" Yes bhai."

" Aju. Please see that the guest room in prepared."

" Okay bhai."

" Avik. Help your sister."

The kids scram away and I approach the boy to crouch in front of him. My big palms rest on his thigh, stopping his right leg from shaking.

" You are free to do whatever you wish here. Make yourself at home. Okay?"

He nods.

And I softly smile at him.

" Come. I will show you to one of the rooms."

I walk him to one of the guest rooms. Ajay gave him a nightsuit while Ajuni prepared his room.

" Take a relaxing bath and sleep.We will talk tomorrow."

We all turn around to leave when I feel a tug on my shirt and my steps halt. I look back to find him avoiding my eyes.

He was shifting his weight from one leg to another.

Meaning, he wanted to say something.

" What happened?"

" I... I am not used to sleeping alone in such a big room. Can I...Can I share a bed with anyone of you."

" I don't sleep talk... I don't snore.. I promise....I will sleep silently..."

His words...

Her voice fills my mind and I freeze. Its been so many years.. Yet her words. The scenes feel like just yesterday.. when she asked permission to sleep beside me.

Ajay and Avik start arguining. Debating who will keep him while Ajuni looks at him with what looked like pity in her eyes.

She nods at me. And I knew what she wanted me to do.

" Come. You will sleep with me."

I pick up the comforter and he nods, to follow me to my room.

As soon as we step in, I watch him stop near the threshold. Removing his shoes he keeps them aside and hugs himself with his arms to look around.

He was in awe.

Staring at the chandelier, pillars and gold linings.

" I will run a hot water bath for you. You must be tired."

He steps into the bathroom and I see his eyes widening in disbelief.

" This... this is a bathroom? Like to wash and clean -"

" Yes Viraj. The place where we take a bath and do our business?"

He gulps. Staring at the warm water in the tub I have filled for him. And his fingers trembled as he gathers the foam in his fingers.