The Beast

The boy looked at me with fear, his grey eyes widened and he instantly blocks someone behind him. There was a person laying on the worn out bed behind him.

Coughing continuously, their frame covered by a flimsy shabby comforter which had holes in it.

I step closer.

My heart thuds faster with every step.

" She... she is sick.. I took it just for her...I need the money for her treatment Sir... please don't take it back."

Fear stands profound in those grey eyes and I had this urge to pull him to my chest and assure him that everything will be fine. That he doesn't have to worry about anything else now.

I was here.

I could do anything just seeing his grey eyes.

Her eyes.

I take another step forwards and the figure coughing behind him becomes clear. She presses her elbows on the bed to pull herself up and look at the intruder and I feel my heart skip a beat.

" Veer Beta?"

" Rajori Tai?"

I couldn't believe my eyes. I was seeing her after so many years. Rushing towards her, I hold her hands in mine to settle beside her.

She gave me that comforting smile and I realise how much she has aged in these past few years.

Her hair were all white, sone teeth missing and every inch of her face covered in wrinkles. Her figure was stick like and it looked like she wasn't being fed well.

" Bacha I can't believe its you.."

She places her trembling hand on his head and he smiles, holding her hand and kissing it.

" Its so good to see you after so many years Tai. What happened to you? "

She swats it away with a smile.

" Nothing bacha. I am just getting old. My years are coming to an end but this little boy won't let me leave. He is so damn persistent to keep me alive."

My eyes shift to the boy standing beside her, with those grey eyes staring between Rajori Tai and me. His eyes reluctant to meet mine, fixated on my shoes as if embarrassed for being caught stealing.

" Your grandson?"

Rajori Tai sighs. A look of despondency flashes in her eyes.

" By heart yes. But sadly not by blood."

" Seven years ago I found him outside the door of this shabby building. Someone has left him with a note, that had his name and time of birth."

" Viraj, 10/10 / 2017"

" Since then he has been my only family."

Me and Rajori Tai conversed for hours, but all this while I couldn't keep my eyes off that kid. He was deep asleep in a corner now, wrapped in blankets. Slightly shivering from the cold.

His eyes, they were drawing me in. Call me insane but I just felt like stating at them for hours.

Grey isn't an eye colour commonly found in India.

Which mother would leave a child at someone's door.

And why at this door of the entire dharavi.

" He reminds of her, doesn't he?"

Rajori Tai asks suddenly, catching me of guard and I blink to look away from the kid. Feigning indifference.

" I was just..."