08

They were now situated back inside the minivan, with Dean driving, as it moved through the rainy night. Melanie's gaze was fixated on the outside world, as she admired and observed the sights of the sky. Meanwhile, Sam occupied his time with the research materials that he held in his lap, as he seemingly carried on with his investigations.

"You've gotta be kidding me. A killer clown?" Dean's incredulity was quite evident when addressing the notion posed by the documents in his brother's possession.

"Yeah. He left the daughter unharmed and killed the parents. Ripped them to pieces, actually." Sam proceeded to provide a rather unsettling summary of the murder, with his words effectively conjuring an image of the gruesome scene.

"And this family was at some carnival that night?" Melanie continued to maintain her gaze outside, while asking her younger brother to corroborate the notion.

"Right, right. The, uh, Cooper Carnivals." Sam affirmed his sister's statement, while providing the proper name for the particular carnivals at which the incident had occurred.

"So how do we know we're not dealing with some psycho carnie in a clown suit?" Dean, with an evident degree of skepticism and uncertainty, posed the question.

"Well, the cops have no viable leads, and all the employees were tearing down shop. Alibis all around. Plus this girl said she saw a clown vanish into thin air. Cops are saying trauma, of course." Sam, in contrary, maintained his stance, advocating the likelihood of an actual clown's involvement.

"Well, I know what you're thinking, Sam. Why did it have to be clowns?" Dean, with a hint of playful mockery, alluded to his presumption regarding his brother's current line of thought.

"Oh, give me a break." Sam's response was a blend of annoyance and exasperation.

"You didn't think I'd remember, did you? I mean, come on, you still bust out crying whenever you see Ronald McDonald on the television." Dean, with a palpable tone of amusement and teasing, recalled his brother's lingering fear.

"Are you still afraid of clowns?" Melanie, with a smile of amusement and humor, inquired about the extent of her brother's lingering discomfort.

"Well, at least I'm not afraid of flying or wasps." Sam responded in a defiant and resolute manner.

"Planes crash!" Dean retorted, displaying a degree of exaggeration as he responded to his brother's statement.

"And wasps sting!" Melanie chimed in, in a defensive manner.

"And apparently clowns kill!" Sam adopted a defensive stance as well, making his retort in a rather peremptory manner, as he attempted to vindicate himself from his siblings' accusations.

"Okay, so, these types of murders, they ever happen before?" Dean shifted the conversation.

"Uh, according to the file, 1981, the Bunker Brothers Circus, same M.O. It happened three times, three different locales." Sam elaborated upon the information contained in the file, while his twin sister resumed her observation of the outside world, as she again fixated her gaze outside.

"It's weird, though, I mean, if it is a spirit it's usually bound to a specific locale, you know, a house, or a town." Dean, with a ponderous and thoughtful tone, indicated his surprise and curiosity, as he elaborated upon his statement with further detail, while maintaining a degree of suspicion as he referred to the possibility of a supernatural entity.

"So how's this one moving from city to city, carnival to carnival?" Sam raised a valid point, expressing his confusion about the apparent capacity of the spirit to move through the different locales, while maintaining the notion of such a supernatural entity existing.