09

Melanie awoke relatively early in the morning, as she rose from her slumber, whilst her siblings were gathering up their belongings from the minivan's trunk. Dean approached her, with the intention of waking her out of her slumber, yet his actions were abruptly halted as he realized that she was already awake.

"Morning" Dean greeted, while maintaining a somber tone of voice as the sun slowly began to rise over the horizon, bathing the surroundings in its light.

"Morning." Melanie replied, whilst furrowing her brows as she stepped out of the vehicle and approached the trunk, where she encountered her younger brother, who promptly handed over her bag to her.

"You really think they saw our plates?" Sam questioned, as he displayed a sense of doubt.

"I don't wanna take the chance. Besides, I hate this freakin' thing anyway." Dean reiterated, as he collected his own bag, indicating a sense of discomfort with the vehicle they were using.

The trio of siblings proceeded to embark on a lengthy march down the road, while Melanie remained in a semi-dormant state, as the effects of sleep were yet to dissipate fully.

"Well, one thing's for sure." Dean began to speak, with a confident and certain tone.

"What's that?" Sam then inquired, as his curiosity was piqued.

"We're not dealing with a spirit. I mean, that rock salt hit something solid" Dean elaborated, as he offered a piece of supportive proof for his previous statement.

"Yeah, a person?" Sam continued to inquire, as he pondered upon the possible identities of the mysterious entity that they had encountered previously.

"Or maybe a creature that can make itself invisible." Melanie interjected, as she posed a different potential hypothesis.

"Yeah, and dresses up like a clown for kicks?" Dean inquired sarcastically. "Did it say anything in Dad's journal?"

"Nope." Melanie answered with a shake of her head.

"Who you calling?" Dean inquired, as he proceeded to observe his younger brother reaching for his mobile device.

"Maybe Ellen or that guy Ash'll know something." Sam suggested, as the younger sibling attempted to dial the numbers of potential contributors, who he anticipated could possess pertinent insight.

"Hey, you think, uh, you think Dad and Ellen ever had a thing?" Melanie questioned, amidst the shadow of a mischievous amusement upon her countenance.

"No way." Dean disputed, upon hearing his younger sister's question, as he rejected the notion of such an affair.

"Then why didn't he tell us about her?" Melanie countered, voicing her confusion at their father's refusal to unveil the knowledge of his familiarity with the woman.

"I don't know, maybe they had some sort of falling out." Dean suggested, as he attempted to offer an explanation.

"Yeah. You ever notice Dad had a falling out with just about everyone?" Sam asked scoffing. Dean nodded casually and Sam lowered his phone. "Well, don't get all maudlin on me, man."

"What do you mean?" Dean questioned.

"I mean this 'strong silent' thing of yours, it's crap. I'm over it." Sam countered, with a tone of criticism towards his elder brother's tendency to repress his feelings rather than confront them directly.

"Oh, god." Dean muttered rolling his eyes.

"He's right, Dean. This isn't just anyone we're talking about, this is Dad. I know how you felt about the man." Melanie added, as she affirmed the statement which had previously been made by her younger brother.