Chapter 8 layer is half the human they once were

Marceline's discovery about Alejandro had shaken her trust in people, but she was determined not to let it consume her. She returned to her life in the small Mexican town, trying to put the events of the past behind her.

However, life had other plans. One day, as she was walking through the market, she noticed a familiar face in the crowd - a man who bore a striking resemblance to her family's killer. Her heart skipped a beat, and she felt a surge of fear and anger.

She followed the man discreetly, her mind racing. Could it be possible that the killer had somehow escaped justice? She needed to know for sure.

The man led her to a rundown apartment building on the outskirts of town. Marceline waited until he was inside before approaching the building. She knocked on the door, her heart pounding in her chest.

When the man answered, she was taken aback. He looked nothing like the killer - he was older, more frail. Marceline's confusion must have shown on her face, because the man smiled and invited her in.

Inside, Marceline discovered the truth. The man was the killer's father, a broken man who had lost everything because of his son's actions. He told Marceline that his son had died in prison, a shell of the man he once was.

As Marceline listened to the man's story, she felt a pang of sympathy. She realized that, in a way, they were both victims of the killer's actions - him, losing his son, and her, losing her family.

Leaving the man's apartment, Marceline felt a sense of closure. She knew that the killer was truly gone, that she could finally move on with her life. She had faced her fears and had emerged stronger, more resilient than ever before.