Chapter Eighteen

Theo couldn't believe his ears.

Simon Johns had killed Rodney Farnsworth.

Simon Johns had just confessed to him.

Simon Johns was in his house with Benji.

Simon Johns was a killer.

Why had he let Simon in ?

His voice was oddly calm as he asked ," You killed Rodney Farnsworth?"

Simon laughed without any trace of mirth. " Yes. I killed him. I had had enough of him. His rudeness. His ignorant ways. His bigotry. He beat his wife. He ignores young Sam. It was a moment when everyone was making merry. Everyone loves my parties. I guess that was my last one. Oh well. I distracted him upstairs. I demanded he leave you and your family alone. If he didn't I told him I would tell India Harrison how her aunt died. It was not a legal crime what he did to Bessie but an immoral one ! He was immoral! India could sue him though. Maybe. It wouldn't bring Bessie back though. He laughed at me. Called me a stupid old useless man. He was still laughing when I hit him with my cane. " Theo looked at the cane the old man held. " He stopped laughing. He stopped everything. I killed my nephew too. He said he saw me kill Rodney. He was willing to hide what I did because he wanted Reed blamed. He didn't want you, Theo. He just didn't want anyone else to have you. He was always a selfish lad. I looked at him in my house this afternoon. I listened to him. He sounded so smug and arrogant. Just like Farnsworth.  So I killed him too. I beat him with my cane. He got away but not for long. I'm not sorry. I'm glad. I have dementia. I won't go to prison. Most likely some hospital or nursing home for wayward old killers. "

Theo was almost devastated. He actually liked this man. Simon Johns seemed so.... so..... honorable.

" What now , Simon?"

Simon sighed deeply. " I wanted to tell you first. So maybe you can help me turn myself in. This nightmare ends tonight. "

Theo reached out for the old man's hand. With his other hand he called Lieutenant Rhodes. He really did need that woman on speed dial.