Chapter Six

The next couple of weeks went by with a more relaxed flair. Or maybe it just seemed that way because Theo had not seen his evil suave ex. Not that he was looking for him. Of course not. But still.

Or maybe it was because the Neighbor From Hades , as Matt called him, had been out of the city on car related business. Farnsworth had been probably out buying cars that had been floating in water or something. Even his wife Laurie Lynn had not seemed to miss the man. Theo had seen the woman at Traders Joe recently. She had been very friendly and polite to him. She sent her regards to his family. And like Matt Theo had noticed that she had had faint bruises around her long swan like neck. He really did feel sorry for her in her long sleeve blouses and dresses that she wore even in the hottest temperatures. He had offered her friendship on more than one occasion but she had politely sidestepped it.

Even the youngest Farnsworth child had wandered out of his home to befriend Benji. Benji and Sam Farnsworth seemed to like each other a lot. Livvie also liked the nine year old boy and she could be hard to impress even at seven. Reed and Theo were leery of the new friendship because of whose son Sam was but were unwilling to play the bad guys and stop it. Sam was a nice little boy and couldn't be held responsible for his idiot father.

He and Reed had received lavish gravestone invites from the kindly old Simon Johns for his annual Halloween party. So had Saint and Matt who had met the man at the cookout and hit it off with him. Apparently the whole neighborhood usually went to the Halloween party except for a couple years during the pandemic. They had all accepted although Reed was a little less willing because Pierce might be there too. Theo had laughed over that. He insisted that a mere Halloween party was really not his ex's scene. Unless he had changed a lot which Theo doubted. Beside Theo was not allowing that man to control his life. Not anymore. He was over Pierce and had been for years. Ever since he met Reed.

Theo had more important things besides Pierce to think about anyway. Like what costumes they would wear. Reed had suggested Batman and Robin. Theo had easily rejected that because he knew who was destined to be Robin. Theo had finally put the decision in more capable hands : those of his fashion diva fifty five year old friend Charles LeClair. Charles was not eager to hear that Pierce had resurfaced. He had never cared for Pierce much.

The two couples had already enlisted Winnie as the babysitter for Benji and Livvie even though the kids threw a mini hissy fit over the idea that they needed a babysitter. Of course they both adored Winnie and Dennis who were taking them trick or treating at Union Station. Winnie was still drifting through life and college. He currently was studying filmmaking and daydreaming about his future wedding to Dennis. It was such a blissful time it was a pity that it had to end.