Chapter 70: Unyielding

Songs for this chapter:
High - Sir Sly
Way down We Go - KALEO

TW for drug use.

Elora had been given countless tasks since her performance with Finnigan. Word had gotten out about his ruthless demise at the hands of Voldemort's favorite little weapon. Time was passing too quickly for her to keep up. She went through the motions of her life; interrogate, fight, torture, rest. It was an endless loop, a constant cycle she was forced to run on. She was tired—she had been tired for what felt like forever. But the Dark Lord didn't wait for her to regain any sense of self or strength before recruiting her for another task.

New Year's Eve had come around again, a big celebration at the turn of the century. Voldemort had ordered that the festivities be held at Hogwarts. It was a way to symbolize his rise to power, a reminder of how he had so easily taken over the wizarding world. It was supposed to be a night of triumph; the Order hadn't won a battle in months.

Elora thought back on the past year. So much had changed. Everything was different now. No longer would she be tied to Lucius's side, paraded around and shown off for her rumored abilities that she didn't even remember.

No, this time was different. This time, people would come to her, eager to meet the Dark Lord's illustrious Master of Torture.

As Elora got herself ready for the evening, she felt hollow. Any sense of normalcy had been sucked up and devoured by the dark magic in her soul. She spent the last weeks floating around, a ghost of her former self. She completed her tasks with monotone precision. Long gone was the spark of flair she had grown to love during her sessions.

She swiped the signature hue of red across her lips and stared at herself in the mirror. She knew deep down she was the same girl that had come here all those months ago, she just had to find her.

A knock on her door pulled her from her trance in the mirror. She walked over, heels clicking along the wooden floor as she moved toward the shiny gold door handle. Theo entered in a rush, buzzing with excitement—or rather, intoxication. Elora could smell the alcohol on his breath from a mile away.

"Brought you something, Townes. Courtesy of the late Mr. Zabini," Theodore chimed.

Elora expected herself to flinch or shudder at the mention of Blaise, but no such reaction came. She stared blankly at Theo as he handed her a blunt. She brought it to her nose, inhaling the freshly ground and rolled drugs inside. It had been so long since she had let herself experience getting high. She wasn't sure how well it would play with her dark magic, and she was too afraid to try.

"Is it safe?" she asked hesitantly.

Theodore scoffed at her. "Of course. You think I would let you do something unsafe? You wound me, Elora," he said dramatically, slamming his fist into his chest. "Although I did add my own little personal touch of crushed Alihotsy leaves, just for fun" Theo chimed. Elora shook her head at him, knowing the laughter would start soon after she took her first drag. Alihotsy leaves were known to cause uncontrollable laughter to whoever consumed them.

She moved the blunt to rest between her red lips, using the tip of her wand to ignite the paper at the end. She inhaled, deep and slow, waiting for the drugs to take their effect. As she exhaled, she felt herself relax.

"So much better than potions..." Theo said. "How do you feel? Good?"

Elora closed her eyes and nodded, reminiscing on her days perched high on the astronomy tower. It was as if she had been transported back to another life. Her senses calmed; her heart rate slowed.