EIGHTEEN

"A—AND HE WAS JUST THERE, SEIZING

"A—AND HE WAS JUST THERE, SEIZING."

I'd never see the day that I shared empathy with Ariana Levine, but her I was, fighting back my own tears as she told the story of finding her brother.

It reminded me of the time I found my uncle hanging from the ceiling when I was seven. I was too young to understand then but I do now.

I rubbed the fabric of the towel that I wrapped around her to dry her skin some more.

"I'm sorry, i'm stupid." Ariana wiped her eyes. "I don't know what i'm doing here."

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes.

I didn't mind her company, i'm actually kind of glad she came to me instead of Cane. Wait... she came to me instead on Cane?

"You've gotta work on your people skills, emo. I just broke down in front of you and all you've said was shut up." She laughed and sniffled a little.

"Sorry, i'm not good at this comforting thing." I itches my neck nervously.

What the fuck are you so nervous for?

"Wow really?"

I rolled my eyes again, this time going into deep though afterwards. I thought we hated each other. But here we were.

There is no we, Kai.

I glanced back up at Ariana who was looking at the ground, I noticed a piece of hair sticking to her face.

No matter how hard I tried my OCD wouldn't let it go.

I brought my thumb over to her cheek, flicking the hair back in place making her flinch. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Our eye contact was too deep. If it wasn't for her phone lighting up I don't think I could've looked away.

"He's awake." Ariana's entire face brightened up.
I smiled myself too.

"You should go, i'm sure your brother will be happy to see you." I assured.

"I'll order an uber."

Wait.

"You walked all the way here?" My eyes widened in disbelief.

"Yeah, I mean it was only like a twenty minutes walk." She shrugged her shoulders.

Sometimes I forgot how athletic this girl was.