Chapter 1

June 15th, Summer of 1988

"Thank you for letting us stay in your house, Aunt Lexi

"Thank you for letting us stay in your house, Aunt Lexi." Avril smiles.

"Oh, that's no problem, girls. I love to have people around for a change."

Avril's aunt, Lexi, offered to take us in for the summer. Avril is my best friend, and once she mentioned she wanted to visit her aunt in Hawaii with me, I didn't bat an eye and got tickets to go see her.

Avril doesn't see her aunt often, I've only seen her once before, and it was many years ago. Lexi lives away from her family and has quite an eco-friendly lifestyle, therefore it's rare for her to visit Avril.

We load our bags into the trunk of Lexi's Jeep and take our seats.

"You'll love the house, June!" Avril exclaims, enthusiastically. "It's one of those beach-themed houses! Living there must feel like vacation twenty-four-seven." Lexi lets out a loud laugh.

"You say that because you don't have to get up to work every morning. But it has a pretty relaxing vibe."

"Miss-" I start saying but Lexi cuts me off.

"Don't talk to me like I'm a miss. I'm just Lexi." I can see her smiling through the front mirror of the car.

"Lexi." I reiterate. "Do you mind if I use the phone to call my mom? She says she'll pay for the phone bill while I'm here." Lexi dismissed my request with a gesture.

"Don't worry about it. Use it whenever you need it. I know letting your eighteen-year-old stay the summer with some stranger must be scary."

I could say it wasn't.

Not for my mom, she couldn't care less. - But I choose to stay silent so I don't have to explain myself.

"June's mom was actually very cool with it." Well, I guess if I don't explain it, Avril will do it for me. "She's too busy in some very important law conference or something." Avril takes a chapstick from her purse and puts it on, making some kind of dramatic scene. "If I didn't invite June to come, she'd probably stay in her room, rotting all summer."

"I'd actually wait for the college acceptance letters to come in." I justify myself. "And maybe read some books, and-"

"Yeah yeah yeah, soooo boring." Avril rolls her eyes and interrupts me. "You're going to the beach, we're going to have a couple with drinks and- OH! There's this festival of indie bands or whatever. I bet there's a lot of cute guys there."

After half an hour more of chit-chat, we arrive at Lexi's house: it's a small beach house with two floors. At the entrance, there's a couch and a TV vertical to the door, and passing by the coffee table, there's an open-concept kitchen and then a terrace. The terrace is literally two steps away from the beach. The TV is glued to the stairs' base and there are two small bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs.