nine

Nine

Kamari

After hours of being picked and prodded at, Kamari finally sat in a chair as the enthusiastic children jumped around behind her. Kamari was just starting to doze off as a shrill voice interrupted following by annoying clapping. "Let's call Pixie." Relief flooded Kamari as she waited for Pixie, slightly mad at the stylist for leaving her alone with annoying 15-year-olds by the looks of it. "Hi, my dear." She said in a soothing voice as she had an inkling that Kamari would most likely be ready to rip her head off. "You leave me with those idiots again. This friendship is over." Kamari said, signaling between the two in the mirror. Pixie mearly laughed before moving to the dress bag that hung at the back of the door. "You're going to love your dress." Pixie said with a big smile. "As long it's not a chicken." She grimaced the image of tributes of the last few years when Pixie had gone for a break. She internally cheered that Pixie had made a comeback for her games. "Now, eyes close." Pixie said as Kamari stood on the platform, the young kids came in as Pixie immediately commanded them to be silent. Kamari faced away from the mirrors as Pixie and the team slipped on the red dress.

Pixie pressed a button as the platform slowly turned towards the mirror and Kamari's eyes almost fell out of her head. The blood red leather clung to her body. It started right at the top of her breasts and hugged her body right down to her waist where a skirt of red and black feathers began. Three strings of black pearls hugged her biceps on each side. Her hair brown hair fell in waves behind her, few strand being held back by a pearl studded pin. Another set of pearls clung to her neck. Half of the set was dipped in red paint, few stray pearls hanging of the final string. They looked like droplets of blood. Kamari smiled as she realized what Pixie had done. A boy with shiny green hair approached pixie with a heavy tray. Kamari's eyes followed Pixie's hands as she lifted a black belt studded with pearls and rubies. A knife sheath. Kamari and Pixie shared a secret smile as she fastened the belt around her waist. She picked up something shiny making Kamari's breath quicken. "No." Kamari whispered as her eyes fell on the blade. The blade was made out of solid gold (by the way Pixie was holding it), the handle was encrusted with pearls and rubies. Kamari ran her fingers over the belt. Her nails caught in the engravings on it. She squinted her eyes trying to make out what was written in the engravings. Her fingers traced each letter as she realized the words they formed.

Matt. Trixie. Alia. Joey. Mike. Griffin. Pixie. Meera. Leena. Valour.

Her eyes stung with tears as she rid herself of them by taking a few deep breaths. But a single tear ran down her cheek when her fingers traced the final name. Alex.

She flung herself at Pixie. "It's okay, little wolf." Pixie rubbed her back. "We haven't finished the make up yet." Pixie joked but when they broke apart, there were tears in her eyes too. Kamari slipped out of the dress as Pixie took it for final alterations as the prep teams started to slather her skin in golden. Kamari sat silently fantasising about how quickly all of this would be over.

And it was. Soon, Kamari was guided towards the platform again. This time her skin was shining. Her hair was curled and was held back by the string of white pearls and rubies. Her eyes were darkened with red on the lids and thick black lines formed wings around her eyes.

She slipped on the red high heels a member of the prep team held out for her. Soon, the dress was slipped on her and she was walking down a hallway, arm in arm with pixie.