twenty nine

THE DECEASED
twenty nine | ❝we don't have a choice❞

RICK SAID THAT EVERYONE IS infected. To Aurora, it didn't make too much a difference. Dead is dead, and a walker is a walker. Whether you need to be bit to become one, or just die was irrelevant to Aurora. It seemed like she was the only person to this view though.

Even though she didn't care about the news too much, she could see why others were annoyed at Rick's lack of an explanation. His reasoning was that he didn't think it mattered, or that anyone needed to know. Of course, it wasn't Rick's decision on whether to tell everyone or not, and Aurora didn't want to act like it was. But she agreed with him. Why scare people if there was no reason to?

It reminded her of the barn. Up until Shane found out and opened the doors, they were safe. There was no danger. As soon as he knew though, that's when the group was in danger.

Aurora knew that she should've been focusing on her surroundings, given that there were exposed with the possibility of being attacked again, but she couldn't. She kept on thinking about how Glenn told her that she loves her. He loves her.

It had been months since the farm was overrun. During that time, Rick seemed to be growing more and more unhinged. The combination of the stress of having no where to stay, the guilt of killing Shane, and Lori's pregnancy was taking a toll on his mental health. A few times, Aurora found herself having to pull Rick away from everyone, reminding him of the example he was setting for his son.

"The example I'm setting?" Rick had spat as the pair walked away from their makeshift camp. "The example that people need a leader. How to be a leader."

"You're leading by fear," Aurora retorted, "they're scared of you, Rick. I'm not saying you're not a good man, and I'm not saying I'm not grateful, because I am. But look at yourself and what you're doing."

Conversations like that became more and more frequent. Though Rick had stated time and time again that this wasn't a democracy, it wasn't a dictatorship either. Neither Aurora, nor Daryl, would let that happen. With every suggest Rick made, and each plan he came up with, they made sure to question it.

Aurora had improved with her gun, too. She didn't have much of a choice, seeing as they were currently nomads. Carl was improving too. He was better than Carol at shooting, and he knew it. Aurora had to remind him more than once to not brag. Well, he could brag, just not around Carol.

Daryl had shown her how to hunt, too. It was between her or Glenn, but Aurora was the obvious choice. She was smaller and skinnier, meaning she could move quieter. With two people hunting instead of one, food was more frequent. Though most of the food went to Lori, not that anyone seemed to mind.

Carl had found dog food in one of the houses they had hunkered down in, and as he was opening it, Rick reached over. He picked up the van from the floor before throwing it against the wall.

"Rick, stop," Aurora had muttered, chewing on a sunflower seed. It didn't matter though, because they had to move. They were always on the move.

She couldn't remember the last time that she didn't sleep with one eye open. On the farm, she felt so safe. But now, no matter how tightly Glenn held her, she couldn't bring herself to relax. Not completely, anyway.