8

James

I hardly ever use the staff entrance that's at the side of the hotel, as I like walking in the main lobby greeting the odd guest here and there.
But today I just wanted to see Lily as quickly as possible so decided to take the staff entrance, as I was walking down towards the doors I stop when I hear what sounded like crying.

Stopping to take a moment to look around, I notice a little girl sat huddled up crying on the floor.

What the fuck.
I look around to see if I can spot a parent but nothing.

"Momma" the little girl cries out looking up to look around to see if she can spot anyone.
Why does she look familiar.

I take a small step closer not wanting to startle her. "Can I help you?" I ask in a soft tone.

She looks up to me with emerald eyes that match the ones that haunt my thoughts.
Ruby!

Where the hell is Lily there is no way she would leave Ruby alone.
Has something happened to her?

"Ruby I'm a friend of your mom's. I saw you in a cafe once remember. Do you know where your mom is?" I keep my tone soft.
"Cookie man?" she looks at me like she's recognising me.

"Yeah that's right I brought you two cookies" I smile at her.
"dwity" she now holds up a dirty looking cuddly toy as tears fall down her face.
"Yeah it's a little dirty. How about we go find your mom and get that all cleaned up" I now crouch down to her.

"Cookie?" she asks as her tears begin to stop.
I can't help but laugh at her.
"If your mom says it's okay then yes I will get you the biggest cookie there is" and I'm rewarded with the biggest smile.

Well at least I'm getting a genuine smile from Ruby, just need to work on her mom.
Holding my hand out she grabs hold and I pick her up.

"Come on" I say but I'm suddenly not sure if I should walk to staff entrance or main entrance.
I have a quick scan of the street to check Lily isn't laying injured anywhere, but thankfully I don't see anything.

My heart rate is high as I wonder why Ruby was out here all alone, as panic fills me that something has possibly happened to Lily.

I enter the staff room but don't see her anywhere. As I make my way to the restaurant, I bump into Wanda who looks at me relieved.

"Oh thank god" she says running up to us "We have been looking everywhere for you" she smiles at Ruby who just holds up her dirty toy.
"Where's Lily?" I ask trying to keep my tone even and not show my panic.

"In the lobby with Sam" she replies before typing on her phone so Lily doesn't over hear.
"She's freaking out as this one disappeared"

I nod.
"You go deliver her safely back while I let security know we found her" Wanda says but I'm already walking as fast as I can towards the lobby.

My heart breaks at the sight of a broken Lily.

"Lily" I shout and she turns around.

I can physically see her face change from dread and fear to instant relief when she spots Ruby in my arms.

"Omg Ruby" she closes the short distance between us and grab her from my arms, while holding her tight and talking softly to her.

"Thank you so much" she now turns her attention to me.
"You don't have to thank me, I'm just glad I spotted her" I reply but I can't take seeing her tears any longer. So on instinct I reach out and use my thumb to wipe away her tears.