January (5.3)

"Knock, knock!" Cody chirped as he knocked on London's office door.

"Zack! Yay! You're here!" She teased. Cody met her with an eye roll. He may know her more intimately now, but he was glad there was still the old London still there. "Where's your stuff?" She noticed that his hands were pretty bare of any photography equipment.

"You said to just bring my camera. I don't really do the whole portrait studio thing. I mean, I have some stuff but it's mostly just my camera and editing equipment." He motioned to his backpack. "Besides I thought if they could, outdoor pictures might be better. The hospital has really great southern facing windows that are perfect. If they need to stay inside." he looked at London's crestfallen face. "Were you expecting this to be some sort of fashion shoot?"

"I mean... That's what I'm used to. You go into a studio or one that has been built and you know just flashing lights everywhere." She popped her fingers into starbursts for effect.

Cody nodded his head slowly, "maybe this isn't such a good fit..." he offered helpfully.

"No!" She reached out to him, taking his arm. They both looked at it questioning if that was the best move. Though her hand still lingered, they had firmly moved to the friendzone. "Any help you can provide. Even if it's just meeting the kids and their families. Maybe you can take some candids at the very least?"

"Anything you need," Cody reasoned.

There were five patients and their families London had selected. Unfortunately these patients were at the last stage of their illness. Hospice care was coming soon; because, without a literal miracle there was nothing modern medicine could do to save them. Cody felt bad because they were all dressed in their Sunday best, thinking that they were about to have family portraits done. He was not great at breaking bad news to people. Not gently at least. He was a rip the band-aid off kind of guy.

Thankfully, London was London. She made the introductions between him and the different families, telling them that they had a super cool idea that was better than some 'stodgy posed picture'. Usually these kids didn't get to play and climb on the playground equipment because they were too delicate or compromised in some other way. But, just for today, and because Cody had a 'magic camera' no harm would come to them.

The question that ran through his mind was how did London not cry every day? The heaviness in his heart and in the hearts of the families were palpable. But to the kids it was their normal. They found lightness and happiness even in their circumstances. He had been to areas ravaged by bombs and destruction. He prided himself on being able to separate his emotions and his work because what he was witnessing needed to be told. He saw fathers carrying their daughters out of rubble knowing that they couldn't be saved but still trying anyway. It was easy to accept when the worst of it had already happened. This was a different beast. The worst had not yet happened or it was still ongoing and you just had to endure.

He wasn't great working with kids. He didn't have a bag of tricks to get them to smile or laugh. Selfishly he was grateful that he didn't need them because of how full of life they already were. But he suddenly had a 'magic' camera and he had to think quickly on his feet to get them to believe in it. That was another reason he didn't like working with kids. For as much as their imagination ran wild and their belief suspended, they could see right through you and didn't hesitate to let you know.

He put his eye to his viewfinder. "I don't know Dr. Tipton. My camera isn't picking up on anything! Are you sure these are the patients you were telling me about?" He said attempting his best impression of an adult on a Disney show.

"Why, what do you mean Mr. Martin?" London followed suit. "Are you sure your magic camera isn't broken?"

"I think I know my equipment, Dr. Tipton." He jabbed a thumb in her direction, acting like she was the dumb one. "Here! Look for yourself."