May (9.2)

Luna was beautiful. She was short though. Shorter than he usually went for with her heels only bringing the top of her head to the bottom of his chin. Her olive complexion looked like her tan stayed all year without trying. Her family were Puerto Rican and her father owned a rum business that she stayed away from. She was a self-made woman who graduated from Barnard College.

To Cody's chagrin, he discovered that they had many things in common. They liked the same books and movies - monster movies specifically, same taste in music and they both joked that there was no one more pretentious. He noticed how stylish she was in a classic way. Nothing over the top but if it could be designer it was. She appreciated his James Dean appeal and loved his 'vintage' finds. She called him out immediately saying that there was nothing wrong with going to a thrift store. Most of her designer handbags and accessories were from estate sales. However, what he found attractive the most, weirdly, was that she wouldn't let him touch her. She shied away from him when he tried placing a hand over hers or trailing one down her arm. But she never touched him either. Not until the end of the date, offering him a handshake instead of a hug or kiss.

Other men would take these cues to mean that she wasn't interested but the way she laughed at his jokes, and sipped her drink interested as he went on a thesis about how King Kong was always an allegory for the social climate of the time, or his ramblings about Kafka and how the modern state of journalism was a joke. She kept up with him beat for beat and if anything he could see being good friends with her. But he wanted a second date and he wondered if the denial was her way of extending the building anticipation.

What was especially enticing to him was that she was the opposite of Bailey. Veronica was sexy where Bailey was cute, she was self-assured and knew what she wanted and didn't hesitate to go for it where Bailey was more cautious and a people pleaser. They both were intelligent but Luna could go toe to toe with him and he wasn't certain that Bailey could do the same anymore. Also the game of anticipation was killing him in a very good way.

At the end of their second date, Luna held out her hand for him to kiss in a chivalrous way. He gratefully took the offered hand and let his eyes linger on hers letting the desire glint in his eyes as he watched her face flush furiously.

On their third date, she let him kiss her outside of her apartment. Her nails scratched along his scalp as they delved into his thick dark hair. The brick facade of her building gave him purchase as he kept her pressed between it and him while his tongue explored her mouth making her release little noises of satisfaction that he could find himself getting addicted to. Her brown eyes shone in the shadows draping around them once they came up for air. The provocation of what could and would happen hung thickly around them if they didn't say their goodbyes now. As a parting gift, she left his lips sticky and sweet with her black cherry lip gloss and a promise that they would make it inside soon. He told her there was nothing to wait for.