4

Phoenix, ArizonaOctober Joi's Birthday

Phoenix, Arizona
October
Joi's Birthday

"Happy birthday to you". Joi eyes fluttered as she heard a few voices singing.

Rolling over she saw her mother as well as Jonah and Lamar standing in her room singing happy birthday, her mother had a small cake with a pink one and eight on top of it lit.

Smiling she sat up just as her mom sat on the bed. "Make a wish baby".

Joi closed her eyes wishing for a few things before blowing the candles out.

"What you wish for?". Lamar asked as she took the cake sitting it on her nightstand.

"Now you know I can't say it or won't come true". Lamar chuckled nodding his head a bit.

"I got you something". Liyah says motioning Jonah to hand her the gift he had in his hand.

Grabbing the gift bag she opened it seeing a black and white box. Pulling the box out she noticed it was a few Chanel boxes.

Looking up at her mom, Joi poked her lip out as she began to unbox her gifts. The first one being a mini quilted pink Chanel bag, small gold Chanel studs and a pink wallet to match her purse.

"Mom I love it!".

"That's not all, we got you some more stuff too". Lamar handed her a second bag which was smaller than the first one.

Opening the back she saw a few perfume boxes but what caught her eye was the different shades of lipgloss. "Are you serious?!". She looked at her mom who held a smile on her face.

"You're 18 now it's time that you explore with makeup, I don't want you wearing it often though because it can mess up your face but I'll make an exception". Joi hugged Liyah tight giving Lamar and Jonah a hug as well.

"My birthday is already starting off good!". She clapped excitedly running her hand over the purse.

"You look so pretty man, can't believe you're getting old on me Fats". Jonah complimented while opening the car door for her.

"You act like you're so much older than me, it's only by a year but thank you Juba".

"A year and five months to be exact".

"Oh please!". Joi fixed her freshly flat ironed hair tucking it behind her ear.

Readjusting her bag she felt like she was on cloud nine as she walked the halls.

She saw some students looking, others whispering nothing could damper her mood.

Joi confidence was at an all time high, the only thing that could make her feel out of place was not looking right. Her appearance means everything to her.

"Ready for your party later on?". Jonah walked her to her locker which was on the other side of the school.

"Yes and you better dress up too Jonah". Joi looked up at Jonah who kissed his teeth.