Free Fall

The wind is throwing my hair around in furry, gripping on everything it could snatch away.

Our dragons are already towering over the field, Arawn standing proud on the end of the field, looking down on everything and everyone around him, looking like he is judging the world around him.

„I am" he grumbles as his eyes snap towards me in a swift motion.

„Where is Andarna?" I ask curiously, as I search for the little golden dragon which usually springs around his claws.

„She won't be joining us today since she wouldn't be able to keep up "
He states with a neutral tone but I can't help and feel sad about her not joining us.
I swallow the sadness lodged in my throat as professor Kaori steps forward, walking past all of us till he stands next to his dragon, mounting it gracefully,before he enhances his voice for everyone to hear.

„Welcome Cadets to your first flight lesson. Today we will learn mounting your dragon and keeping your seat"

He motions with his hand that we are allowed to start mounting and as I turn I see all the bonded cadets already racing for their dragon and the seat pommels, using the leg as a ramp, like we trained at the Gauntlet.

As I finally dare to face Arawn, I had already accepted my fate that I would embarrassingly fail and never even make it up till where I think was Arawn's knee was located.

„You are embarrassing us.Stop it now."

I sigh and get into position to start my sprint, hoping I wouldn't fall and break anything important inside of my body.
I close my eyes and Center myself then I run straight forward skipping some steps before I lunge myself upward Arawns Leg as high as I can.
As guessed I only make it up to the half. In panick I grab for the next best scale , keeping me from falling backwards towards the grass.

The harsch Edge of the so soft looking scale cuts the skin of my palm and I have to bite my lip to keep a scream from escaping me, as I grab for another one with my not bloods hand.

„you're leaving prints on my scales" Arawn scoffs and indeed. Red handprints are decorating his otherwise white scales.

I choose to ignore him as I continue to climb up his massive leg, the adrenaline dimming the pain cursing through my body.
I am the last to reach the sitting pommels but I reach them alive, what is the only thing that matters in this moment.
The other Cadets view the red trail I left on Arawn's body with a pitiful look while Kaori chooses to ignore the blood pooling on the ground and my cut open hands.

„ You did better than expected" is the only thing Arawn has to add before he airbones following Kaori's Dragon with a swift motion, almost throwing me out of my seat at the sudden movement.

The other Dragons follow Arawns and Kaoris lead in a hurry as of they just waited for us to go first.

I had chosen to not wear flight googles, being the only one in our year to do so. I respected the riders who wanted to wear them but personally I thought they looked terrible and left way to many marks in the face, what was why I didn't wanted to wear them. Even more I actually enjoyed the wind hitting my face, tearing on my once again unbraided hair.
It made me feel alive and free.

I hadn't talked to Violet since the ceremony and even though I tried to catch her alone it was fairly hard, since her personal guard dog never left her side let alone left her at all. He was practically glued to her and it made me stomach turn given the fact, that I and Dain were most likely to murder each other sooner or later.
Arawn banked hardly left and I almost fell out of my seat for a second before I collected all my strength left and pulled myself back into position .