𝐒𝐩𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝘁𝘄𝗼, 𝗰𝗵𝗮p𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻.

𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗸𝗲𝗻 𝗪𝗼𝗿𝗱𝘀

Season four, episode eight:

Silence in the Library - Part One.

- ~ -

The door trembled against their weight as they pushed against it. They struggled frantically, racing against the shadows that loomed closer and closer.

The door burst open.

They scrambled in, yanking the door shut, and barricading it.

They breathed, chests heaving.

The Doctor blinked, "Oh, hello! Sorry to burst in on you like this. Ok if we stop here for a bit?"

- ~ -

The first thing Lynnette noticed as she walked through the Tardis was that the sentient machine was in a very, very happy mood, almost excited, and that, in turn, made her very happy as well. She had a pep in her step as she walked into the console room, where the Doctor grinned, quickly pulling his psychic paper into his pocket, expression alight in wanderlust.

Just outside those doors was yet another adventure. She smiled at the thought and at the thought of figuring out why he was so jittery.

"Books! People never really stop loving books," He grabbed his long, well-worn, trench coat and strode out of the Tardis' blue doors and out into a whole new world, "The fifty-first century! By now, you've got holovids, direct-to-brain downloads, and fiction mist, but you need the smell. The smell of books. Deep breath."

Lynnette gasped, "Are we where I think we are?"

He hummed, guiding them outwards, marvelling at the architecture change as marble pillars rose and everything was built of white, "The Library!  So big it doesn't need a name. Just a great big 'the'."

The sun had struck against the sky, everything under its hue painted in a golden glow. Wood began rich in its brown tones, whites seemed to be sprayed in gold, and Lynnette's eyes only seemed to glow even brighter.

And once again, the Doctor's breath was taken away.

"It's like a city!" Donna exclaimed as they reached a bounty.

Giant skyscrapers stretched towards the atmosphere, glass shimmering like crystals. Hundreds of metal pipes slivered around the buildings like a maze of mystery. The wind was gentle, baring even there, it made not even a breath of noise.

And that's when Lynnette noticed it.

Aside from the two people standing by her sides, there was no noise. No speaking, no whistling, no laughter, not even a scuffle. Nothing. Just silence. She shivered.