𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐫 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝘁𝘄𝗼, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿.

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝗮𝘃𝗶𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗜𝗻 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗙𝗹𝗮𝗺𝗲𝘀.

Season four, episode two:

The Fires of Pompeii - Part Two.

- ~ -

The streets were still infamously dark. Dogs were still barking, perhaps they could sense how the ground tremored beneath their paws, a warning for what was to come. To Lynnette's surprise, Lucius and his guards weren't following.

The Doctor came to a staggered halt, Quintus and Lynnette following after him as he looked around, allowing them to catch their breath. He furrowed his brows, "No sign of them. A nice little bit of allons-y. I think we're all right."

Quintus' eyes remained wide as he exclaimed, "But his arm, Doctor! Is that what's happening to Evalina?"

He was going to answer the boy before he saw Lynnette flinch, "Firefly?"

Lynnette didn't answer immediately, instead tilting her head, as if listening to something, she clicked her tongue, "It's like thumping, it's loud and it's getting closer but I can tell where it's from."

Then he and Quintus heard it. A methodic thumping, almost mechanical as it continued. Quintus looked to Vesuvius, "The mountain?"

"No, it's closer," The Doctor hummed, listening intently, trying to figure out what and where the sound was coming from.

The closer it got the more the ground tremored, chickens squealed from their slumber and the barking of dogs grew louder. It was bewildering. What could make such a loud sound?

"Is it just me or do those sound like..." Lynnette trailed, looking to the Doctor.

He nodded in response, "confusion flickering across his features, "Footsteps."

"It can't be," Quintus shook his head, "We can't see anything."

Lynnette furrowed her brows, gaze tilting downwards as cold realisation flushed across her, "You can't see what's beneath the dirt."

The Doctor's eyes widened, "Footsteps underground."

Quintus let out a shuddered breath as the pair tried to get him to move. I was safer in Caecilius' villa, where they knew everyone was. The boy's eyes were wild, his voice shaking as he gasped out, "What is it? What is it?"

"We don't know," Lynnette breathed, pulling the boy along the winding streets, "We'll find out when we get to your home and know everyone is safe."

Quintus finally nodded and the trio began to sprint through the barren streets. Behind them, vents burst, steam flying through the air, filling it with a mist so thick not even an eagle would have been able to see through it.