𝐋𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿.

𝗟𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗠𝗮𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀.

Season three, episode eleven:

Utopia - Part two.

- ~ -

Professor Yana shifted, a glimmer of recognition in his eyes as he let out a breath, "Oh, it's far beyond the Condensate Wilderness. Out towards the Wildlands and the Dark Matter Reefs Call us in, the last of the humans scattered across the night."

Lynnette leaned towards Jack and whispered, "Edgar Allen Poe is screaming in his grave right now."

Jack grinned, lips quirking in amusement as he murmured in response, "So is Oscar Wilde."

The Doctor glanced at the pair from the corner of his eye and tried not to let a smile stretch across his mouth as he hummed, "What do you think is out there?"

Yana sighed deeply, hope nestled deeply within his heart as he spoke, "We can't know. A colony, a city, some sort of haven? The Science Foundation created the Utopia Project thousands of years ago to preserve mankind, to find a way of surviving beyond the collapse of reality itself. Now, perhaps, they've found it. Perhaps not. But it's worth a look, don't you think?"

Lynnette tilted her head as she watched Yana look at the Doctor, if she hadn't only just met the man herself, she would have thought he had known the Doctor for ears with the intensity of his gaze.

"Oh, yes!" Agreed the Doctor, completely oblivious to what Lynnette had seen,  there was an excitement in his eyes, a glimmer of hope for the race that was always his favourite. He leaned closer to the screen and let out a hum, "And the signal keeps modulating which means it cant be automated. That's a good sign that someone's out there. And oh...Oh, that's a navigation matrix!

"Doctor!" Lynnette exclaimed suddenly.

His attention snapped to her but her attention was on Yana who had his face screwed up in what seemed to be unimaginable pain. 

The Doctor furrowed his brows, leaning close to the old man, "Professor? Professor?" No response, "Professor!"

And that seemed to snap him out of it. He blinked once, driving away the tears that had managed to gather in his mind. He swallowed unsurely and jumped to get moving, desperate to have the eyes off of him," I...Ahem...right! That's enough talk! There's work to do! Now, if you could leave, thank you."

"Are you all right?" The Doctor called after a moment, unnerved by the suddenness of the man.

Yana barely looked back at him, so contrasting to the intense gaze he held earlier, "Yes, I'm fine. And, busy!"