Chapter 4

Two years after we escaped, they came. Mieary was 20, at the time, and I was 14. We received a message from both the Necromancers and the Fan club.

The message from the Necromancers said:                         

Hand over Experiment 13, and the one known as Mieary Valis will be allowed to survive. Fail to hand over Experiment 13, Miss Mieary Valis will meet an unfortunate end. Experiment 13 will be tortured endlessly both physically and mentally, knowing her friend's death could have been preventable. Hand over the girl by tomorrow at midnight.

-Necromancers

I looked at Mieary, terrified. I started making plans to hand myself over to the Necromancers, to save Mieary. She stared at me and shook her head. In her eyes, I could see that she knew the Necromancers would kill her, and still torture me.

The message from the Fan club said:

Mieary Valis

How dare you steal Experiment 13! Please return soon! It would pain me greatly if you came to harm. Your fiance is worried about you. We don't know why you became rebellious all of a sudden, but come home, please. I beg you. Experiment 13... No, Phoenix, please protect her. I hope you both come home safely, as soon as possible please!

Scientists of Second Program

P.S. Remember that I love you

Love Great Aunt Cara Valis

I looked at Mieary. She looked upset. I waited for her to speak as she reread the letter from Miss Valis. I honestly thought maybe we should go back to the Fan club. But it was obvious that Mieary disagreed with me.

"There was another reason I wanted to leave," Mieary whispered, head in her hands, "Everything there is weird. My aunt is starting to go crazy. There have been more crazy experiments killing people than ever. The Necromancers killed you since you were a perfect candidate, but the Fan club were planning to kill you themselves. They have been killing people to make people like you!"

I looked at Mieary in astonishment. "Mieary... You can trust me with everything. Why didn't you tell me something so important like this?!" I said, looking at Mieary as she turned to meet my gaze.

"I didn't want to scare you. Please don't tell me you wouldn't be scared! I'm terrified!" Mieary said. I continued to look at her. I got up, and packed everything we needed. Mieary realized what I was doing, and jumped up to help me.

As we were about to walk out the door, I grabbed Mieary's arm. "Promise me no more secrets ever!" I said looking into her eyes. She nodded her head and help up her pinkie finger.

 We linked pinkies, as we smiled. "Promise," we both whispered. That was the last time I ever saw her smile.