Chapter 19

After classes, we found Cara waiting with a new Experiment. A fifteen year old boy was there. He looked like Cara had been talking about some really interesting facts. He had brown hair, and was average height. He was pale and very skinny. He looked relieved when we entered.

 "Are there any more Experiments we should know about Cara?" I demanded. I was bored and grouchy. I hadn't seen Ez all day. I didn't want anything else surprising me. That included cats!

 "This is Experiment 20-" Cara began to talk, but the new guy interupted her. "Zeff," he said, rolling his eyes. I smiled. Ah, memories. 

 "Who cares?!" Cara huffed. "I do," Zeff said. Zeff wasn't the only one that looked relieved that we came. I chuckled.

 "Phoenix? If I could have a word," Cara said, getting up, "One of you, babysit the demon child!" She quickly left. I turned and gave Zeff a big smile and two thumbs up.

 "Yes Cara?" I asked. Cara beckoned to me to follow her. I followed her to the fifth basement. She walked to the part of the lab that was always locked. We walked to a quiet room.

 There was two guys in there. One was in his twenties, and very handsome. He looked up when we came. I might have imagined it, but he narrowed his eyes and glared at me. When I looked again he wasn't looking at me. 

 The other guy looked very, very familiar. I didn't know why. He had dark brown hair, and was wearing glasses. There was a sadness in his eyes that I didn't understand. 

Between them was... A sleeping baby. She looked so adorable. I looked at her harder. She looked so cute... But so eerily familiar. I didn't stop staring at the baby.

 "Cara... What? Why? Who?" I whispered, so the baby wouldn't wake up. The baby was wearing a little hat, and a diaper. She looked so tiny. Probably a new born. Tubes were connected to her. Was she? No. Not even though cold hearted scientists would do this.

 Cara hesitantly spoke, "You are the oldest Experiment, Phoenix. We have received a request that you take care of this child," Cara said, looking like she wanted to say something else. I finally stopped looking at the baby.

 "No!" I gasped. Cara and the two other scientists looked at me sadly.

 "Yes, Phoenix. I'm sorry," Cara said. She then nodded at the baby. The baby slowly opened her violet eyes. They looked like mine. I put my hand on my mouth. Poor, poor baby.

 Cara had one more thing to add, "Phoenix, meet Experiment 14B. This is Lily."