Chapter 10

I woke up, relieved that there was no nightmares. Cara had left me a note saying I had another free day. Extremely weird. I had breakfast, went to Experiment 13 tests. But I still thought something was weird. I decided to make a list of all the strange things:

No Miss Valis or Professor Rattsen or Professor Reptile

So many new scientists come

Everyone is disappearing like crazy

Free days

And Mieary notice strange things started happening before

 I decided to investigate. I went to find Cara. She was stealthily creeping down a hallway when I found her. It looked like she didn't want to be seen.

 "Cara! Can I ask you a few questions please?" Cara jumped when caught her. Busted. She indicated that I should hurry up and ask my questions. "Where are Miss Valis and Professor Rattsen and Professor Reptile? Why are new scientists always coming? Why is everyone disappearing? Why are there free days?"

 Cara looks both annoyed and surprised. "New scientists keep in coming because they keep on disappearing. But there have only been thirty new scientists this year. Why they are disappearing... Well... Only eleven this year have died from old age. And the free days, well we are extremely busy. Don't you like all of the free days?" Cara says. Then she looks troubled and confused. "As for the matter about Miss Valis and the others... I have never heard of them before, except the Miss Valis is my namesake, and she died a very long time ago. Now I must really be going," Cara said, then turned to leave.

 I processed what I had just learned. I decided to visit the outside garden dedicated to Mieary. I'm allowed to go there when ever I want, but I only go on the day Mieary died. It might help me think more clearly.

 When I got there, I gasped. Cara had been right. Since every year I planted a new fuschia blue eyes plant, there should have been four. There was forty-eight plants.