Chapter 23: Noir

*** This takes place two days after chapter 22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.O.V. - Yako Meridies/Nogitsune

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yako," called out Sarah, "Do you have that soy milk latte?"

"Yeah, for Amy, right?"

"That's the one."

I pass Sarah a mug by sliding it down to the counter where she is.

Sarah catches it and smiles, probably from being proud that she caught the drink and didn't spill or break it.

"Amy," called out Sarah.

A girl came up to the counter and grabbed the cup. She took a sip and smiled.

"This place always makes the best drinks. It astounds me that this establishment is never recognized by people outside of Blythonbury."

"I mean no offense, but I would personally like to keep it that way," replied Sarah.

"Why is that?"

"I prefer the nice folk of Blythonbury. Even the drunkards are not without their manners. No one here wants drama or conflict. They all live peaceful lives and wish no harm to anyone. Can't say the same for other places in England."

"I can see your point in that. It seems some places in England have forgotten their civility these days."

The woman, Amy, took another sip of her latte again.

"Say, who made this drink?"

"That would be my brother, Yako," Sarah said pointing to me.

Amy looks at me and I wave at her while also smiling at her.

"Oh, he's a...?"

"Kistune, ma'am."

"What's a kitsune?"

"Fox people, to put it simply," I replied.

"Oh, well, I have never seen such a creature as you before."

"Most of us stay in Japan. It's where we originate from."

"Oh, are you two-"

"Adopted? Yes," both Sarah and I said at the same time.

"Oh... My apologies, I mean not to be rude for asking."

"No, we get it a lot. It's understandable, ma'am," Sarah said lightheartedly.

"Well, tell your guardians that they raised such fine children. May you two have a splendid good day."

"And you as well, ma'am," I said with a smile.

"Feel free to return to Le Thé Au Sucre," said Sarah, smiling.

The woman downed her latte before she left.

"I wanted to tell her that 'guardians' isn't plural, but I didn't want to continue that conversation any longer. I'm tired after working all day. We've been here since eight in the morning. What time is it now?"

I check the clock that is on the wall across from the counter.

"It is roughly six thirty ."

"Man, we have been here for ten hours... At least the pay will be worth it."