Ch. 20 Filler

-1 YEAR LATER-

Tuesday | 3:16 p.m.
October 5, 2021

𝙳𝚢𝚖𝚘𝚗𝚍 𝙿𝚊𝚞𝚕"OPEN 79!" The guard yelled for them to open what would be my cell for the rest of my life

𝙳𝚢𝚖𝚘𝚗𝚍 𝙿𝚊𝚞𝚕
"OPEN 79!" The guard yelled for them to open what would be my cell for the rest of my life. I stood with my back to him and my belongings in my hands. I'd been charged with burglary of a habitation, aggravated robbery, malicious wounding, false imprisonment, and first-degree murder. Therefore I was sentenced to life in prison plus 12 years. The life sentence came in for murdering Maury.

While I'd been sitting in jail for all those other charges relating to Dianna's family, Maury's body ended up being found. In the heat of the moment I'd murdered my best friend so I didn't have any gloves on or anything else to protect myself from being linked back to him. Apparently, my hair was found on the clothes I'd buried him in. My lawyer tried to fight against it and say that we could've been in close contact or Maury could've sat somewhere and my hair could've been transferred onto his clothes that way. I thought for sure that would've cast some type of doubt, but when they'd pulled my fingerprints from his clothes I knew it was over with. I didn't think shit like that was even possible but with this new technology today, I'd learned the hard way that it was.

My life had always been over, so when I heard "life in prison" I was more numb than anything. My life ended the moment my mother got hooked on drugs and the family got split up. My life ended the moment I fired that gun and shot someone's grandmother. I'd done a lot, but I'd never shoot an elderly person unless they threatened my life. I realized how fucked up I was when I'd shot that woman and I regretted it deeply. I was just so desperate that night that I was focused on one thing and one thing only—money.

I wanted so badly to put my mother in rehab so we could get her clean and she could one day get custody of Neek and Taraji again. Shit, we could be a family again. I needed the money to help Savannah get an abortion too, but I wasn't thinking about that when I broke in, tied those women up, and shot one. I was thinking about the family I didn't grow up with.