Within the ranks of the kites, there is an imbalance of power

I am officially sick this week. The heat is killin' me, and I'm so sleepy, but fear not I will not disappoint. 

Even thought I am not whole, all of me still love you, and all of me wishes you well, and never give up on yourself.

Firefly by Ed Sheeran

Be Still by The Killers

This Year by Mountain Goats

-----

Three hours later, I sit in my kitchen watching the rain pour down with Harper and Charlie, drinking coffee my mom made for us. "I agree with your dad." Harper rocks back in her chair. "Avery has two cats, and they don't scream like they are being flayed alive."

"Did his wife have their baby?" Charlie asks, trying to steer the conversation away from gore.

"Sick, babies come to your mind when you hear the word flayed."

"Come on, you know I'm squeamish." Charlie complains. "Anyway, they're in New York, and it would be a great excuse to go there, I haven't been in a few years."

"That's a day trip that no one wants."

I keep looking outside, expecting someone to signal for me, but so far dead silence after the text. I ask Charlie without looking at them. "Have you heard from Nya?"

"Yeah, I got a text this morning after I called her a bunch. She said she wasn't sure, and that Mr. Raka was keeping her inside today. I was actually going to ask you, seeing that you're basically dating her brother."

"Smooth transition." Harper sighs as I swing around to glare at her.

"I am not dating Milo, who says I'm dating him?" I hiss.

She shrugs. "The fact you spend all day Saturdays with him, according to Nya, he actually acknowledges you when you're there, I've seen that with my own eyes."

"And yesterday." Harper cuts in.

"Oh, yes, and that."

"What about yesterday?" I nearly yell, my dad sticks his head into the kitchen, glaring at me. Football is on. "Sorry." He went back to the family room. Then more softly. "What about yesterday?"

"Thea, he assumed you two were on a date. I saw him throw away the flowers, and he bailed early." Charlie puts her hand over mine. "He likes you; I honestly believed you reciprocated his feelings, and I know you can see it.

"I do like him back."

"Like a friend? Or more?" I am uncertain of how to convey that, indeed, I have stronger feelings for him, but there appears to be an obstacle preventing me from progressing. Fear, eyes, blood, Milo, all mix in my mind as I tightly close my eyes. She sighed loudly. "See, Thea, he likes you more than a friend."

"I know."

"Just don't string him along, if you don't like him like that, you should rip the band aid off, so he can move on sooner. He's 15, he's too young to be hung up on one girl."

I gaze into my coffee, observing the bubbles slowly moving in endless circles. It's not worth discussing, and I regret how it turned out. I listen as my brothers come charging in, and one comes screeching to a halt. When Charlie releases a small laugh, my attention shifts to see Caleb leaning against the counter. "Hello, ladies," she greeted them warmly.

"Oh, no." Harper laughs, and Charlie giggles into her hands.

"Ew," I shriek. "Get out of here, you disgusting child."