Chapter 9: Sleep Well Always

A passing day, a week, a month. Kento and you had called every night and every day. The bond had grown and it felt like a branch was entwining you two together by the minute. Everything he said you found to be either relatable or laughable. It felt as if the two of you shared one mind; you had the same point of views on many topics and you liked the same uncommon things.

Let's also honorably mention the underlying natural ability to flirt casually.

Anyways.

Earlier today, he promised that he'd call you later on in the night and you agreed on that. It was around evening now and you were washing Salem up and getting her ready for bed.

"Salem! Don't leave the tap running!" You yell when you hear water running minutes after she left the washroom.

"Sorry mommy!"

Salem had no idea that her teacher and her mother had grown a fond for each other. And it would probably be some news to take in when you do decide to tell her. But it wouldn't be bad news whatsoever, you know that for certain. Her teacher is the only reason she enjoys showing up to school every day. The only reason she's able to be academically witted. You knew that she wouldn't mind him as a step-father.

A step-father..

No, you've only known him for a a month or two. Don't jump 10 years into the future.

God.

But it also was a valuable thought. The more you sat thinking about it, the more you realized it would actually make a good topic to surface with Kento tonight on the phone. What does the future hold for the two of you? You've never really thought about it that much.

You head over to Salem's room and find her already in her bed. You tuck the blanket over her stomach and kiss her on the cheek. 

"Goodnight," You tell her and she mumbles it back.

You close her door, then head into your bedroom.

9:00PM on a Sunday night. Talking to a man again has actually taught you how to take well care of your skin and how to do makeup again. You want to look good for Kento... well, because, he looks like a god-gifted sculpture himself. Everything about him is just picturesque.

You set your phone up on your desk and sit on the chair, tapping on the video call icon and dialing Kento. The phone rings once, twice, thrice, and he answers—eventually.

"Hey," He says.

"Hiiiii." You say, pulling the 'i' in your Hi a little longer.

"I just got out of the shower." You see him put the camera on his face, a towel was slithered around his neck and his hair was dripping wet. He didn't have a shirt on. He combed his hair back with his fingers.

"Did you?" You say. "How was it?"

He clicks his tongue and smiles a little bit. "Do you want the details?"

"All of it." You laugh.

He sets the phone somewhere and dries his hair with the same towel he placed on his neck. He then grabs the phone and lays on his bed. "Well I was just thinking about you." He sighs.

"Likewise, but I've also been thinking about some other things too." You say.

"Hit me."

"What do you want your future to look like?" You ask, directly. "Like how many kids.. where do you want to live, things like that."

He laughs, a little astonishment in his tone because he wasn't expecting the question so soon. But he's glad to serve an answer for you. He has very specific details planned out for his future.

"Well I've always wanted to retire young and live by a beach. I've never liked living in the city.. it's so busy and chaotic. But I have duties to take care of here before I can live peacefully. However in the future... I really want to settle in Kuantan, Malaysia."

You see the smile on his face over the phone. He rubs his forehead, "As for the kids part.." A nervous laugh. "Well I'd hope to have at least 3. Probably not anymore than that. What about you?"

"Kuantan, Malaysia.." You say again to let your tongue get familiar with it. You've heard that the city has an ample amount of beautiful beaches. And it does sound really peaceful..

You close your eyes for a few seconds and just imagine. You imagine how things would be if you just left the city and lived somewhere rural with him and Salem. Life would be so perfect. Not a doubt in the world.

"Y/n?" He asks. You blink. "Oh, yeah?"

"I thought you fell asleep." He chuckles.

You smile. "Just thinking about your retirement life. It does sound peaceful, must I add."

"I know. I hope to make it come true someday."

Kentos eyes narrowed, as if the gleam in his eyes dimmed when those words left his mouth. He knew he couldn't make it come true. Not when he was in the mess of an addict situation he was in right now.

It will never come true.

In the past month, Kento's symptoms have been tolling in at a hundred miles per hour. Nausea, hallucinations, dizziness. He's experienced all of them and many more. He's ultimately dug himself a ditch that he can't climb out of. Kento's been taking twice of what he used to take at his worst times because he feels even more pain when he's sober. The drugs are a temporary relief from the pain that it has caused. He knows in this condition, with his body shutting down slowly but efficiently, he'll never make it to his 30s.

"Anyways.." He chuckles. A chuckle that sounded like a cheap mask of the suffering he was enduring. "I was wondering if we could meet up tomorrow. That's fine, yeah? Not during school hours because I will be occupied. But perhaps in the evening?"

"5:00 PM will work." You say as you smile at him. "I'd been planning to ask you the same thing as well."

"Have you?" He says with a laugh. "I beat you to that."

"You did." You smile.

He exhales. "Well I'm going to go to sleep now, alright? But I look forward to seeing you tomorrow." He brings his phone to his lips and kisses it. You watch him on your screen.

"Goodnight," You say.

He returns it. "Goodnight Y/n. Sleep well always."