Chapter 20: Pretty Girl

a/n: new demon slayer episode got me hyped

has me thinking.. should my next fic be a kny one?

maybe giyu tomioka? or muzan, even?🫣

(getting out of my blonde men comfort zone here, probably wont happen 😪)

_

KENTO

The Night Before

It's nearly 12:00 o'clock in the night and I'm struggling to sleep. My body feels like it's jittering and my hands are clamming in an open and closing motion. I'm so sweaty. It isn't even the day yet, and I'm so nervous.

I stare at the maroon-red ring box, holding a $3000 gem inside. I bought this ring before I fell into a coma. I bought it, but I didn't believe I would actually be proposing to her until next year. Possibly two years.

I had a chat with Salem last night that completely revamped my thoughts. She was practically pleading for us to marry after she confirmed that I was in love with her. She asked and she asked and she asked until she couldn't no more.

And I guess she gave me the push I needed.

I'm not only doing this for Salem. I'm doing it for a future with her and her mother. I see so much future with them. And perhaps tomorrow is the given moment to take the big step.

Still, I don't know why I'm so nervous.

Am I taking this too fast?

I sigh. I decide to head downstairs to make myself some tea.

Tea, right? Tea should ease me down.

The staircase creaks under my weight and I head down without barely seeing a thing. I switch on a light in the kitchen and grab a mug.

I'm placing the teabag into the hot water. It was then that I heard a door creak open and I looked back so quickly. A little too quickly.

"Who—"

"Salem. It's me." She says with a raspy voice.

"Oh.." My voice softens. "Hey, why are you awake so late?"

"I can't sleep."

"Coincidence. I can't either." I take the teabag out the water. "Here, sit down." I exhale.

It occurs to me that I haven't told Salem about my plan yet. I decide to do so. Although I have my doubts, considering she's a 7 year old girl and will probably spill the secret before the secret unfolds, I hope that my trust in her is enough.

"I want to tell you something," I say.

She takes a seat on the island and I stand across from her, leaning on the counter.

"What is it?"

"Tomorrow.." I breathe, nervously. "Tomorrow, I'm going to be proposing to your mother."

"Pro-po-sing? What does pro-po-sing mean?" She asks, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"Proposing. It means asking someone to marry you."