Chapter 19: July 3rd

a/n: happy birthday my beloved kento nanami <3

little bit of a plot twist in this chapter!!! enjoy and try not to scream😉

_

It's 5 PM. The sun is clearing out of the horizon and you are hurrying to place dishes on the dining table and arrange everything together. The guests are scheduled to be here in 30 minutes.

You have food on the stove boiling, and you ask Kento to turn the gas off. He does. He's trying to help you but is unsure of what to do. He's not good at this kind of stuff. You tell him to sit down and relax. It's his birthday after all and he shouldn't have to stress about this. You have it all under control.

"It smells delectable," He says. "All this food. I think they're going to love this."

"Yeah?" You say, stirring a boiling pot. "I hope so."

"Are you sure you don't need any help?" He asks again.

"I'm seriously fine. I mean, other than the fact I nearly burned myself twice, I'm actually doing really well. I'm really okay. I have it all covered."

He laughs. "Well I sure hope so. Thank you for this. Thank you for all of this." He gestures a circle around the table. "I can't believe.. this is all for me. Nobody has really put that much effort into my birthday before."

You smile. "You deserve it, Kento. I mean it. You deserve more than this, if anything. After everything you have been through? It's the least I could do."

His lips form a soft smile he can't help.

"Oh, right.." He says, "Is your friend Nobara actually coming?"

"She is, yep. And unfortunately, she invited like 3 other people as well. Hence why I'm cooking this much."

"Really? So that's like.." He uses his fingers to add them up, "That's like ten people?"

"Yeah, plus Salem. Eleven."

He whistles. "Damn."

In that moment, Salem steps down the staircase and gasps as her nostrils catch onto the smell of food in the air. She's been saving stomach capacity for tonight. And she's so hungry now, she could probably inhale a bear.

Her hands are immediately trying to grab the food that's spread out on the dining table.

"No, Salem, don't do that!" You yell. She was nearly tipping the food over and you had to physically pull her away from the dish so it wouldn't fall. "Sit down, Salem. The guests will be here soon. By then, you can eat."

"Ugh." She groans. "How much longer?"

"Any minute now." You say.

It takes a few minutes for the tomato soup to stop boiling before you poured it into a large bowl and placed it on the dining table along with the other dishes. All in all, it was an italian inspired dinner, which was suggested by Kento. You made spaghetti, and 3 types of them. Carbonara, Alfredo and Pomodoro. There was garlic bread and tomato soup, and a large pizza too. You light a candle in the center of the dining table and finally pull away from it. It's all finished.

It's now 5:28PM. You're expecting guests very soon, so you head upstairs to change into appropriate attire.

By the time you're downstairs, you find the door open, and you ask Kento why. He says, "Somebody rang the doorbell, but when I opened it, nobody was there."

You take a second look outside the front door. And just to your surprise, you see a familiar figure and three unfamiliar ones walking towards your driveway.