III

Lindtsey

I stopped asking why I needed to distance myself from the Fortich's when I saw my mom cry in front of me for the same reason, may nagawa ba kaming mali o sila para palayuin ako ni mommy sakanila? I just can't understand.

"Aiah, you have my heart and my biggest fear is to lose you, anak.. Kasi kaya kong ibigay lahat lahat sayo, I can sacrifice even my life just to make you safe.."

Those are the exact words I heard my mom conveyed, I can't bear seeing my mom crying because of me.

It's afternoon and I planned to go to the kitchen to prepare something for mom and dad since we are all here in the house, I was about to make my way downstairs when I overheard my parents mentioning my name as well as Beatrice.

I didn't think twice to spy and listen because I feel like this will be the answer to all of the questions I have in mind.

"Irene, this is the truth.. We can't live our lives with lies and you need to accept it, habang maaga pa."

'And what exactly do you want me to do huh? Ganon na lang 'yun? I don't care about what that paper says,  I already told you that I'm happy with Aiah..'

"Are you telling me that you don't want to meet your biological—

'Aiah is my daughter, no one else. Paniwalaan mo ang gusto mong paniwalaan pero ako, I will fight for Aiah as hard and as long as I can.. and you can't do something about it.'

I'm speechless.

If I'm not mistaken with what I heard and if I comprehend it correctly, hindi ako yung anak nila? I'm not their biological daughter.

It's Beatrice Fortich.

Kaya ba pinapaiwas ako ni mommy sakanila, but for what? I don't know what to think anymore, I can't just lush out and ask them about this kasi alam kong mas palalalain ko pa.

I immediately returned to my room and cried myself hard in the bathroom where for sure no one could hear.

So all this time, I'm living with lies.

My mom is not my biological mother.

My parents are not my real parents.

I don't know what to do, I just hope that these are all a nightmare.

Minutes after, I managed to calm down because I need to pretend that I don't know anything in front of my parents who turned out to be my foster parents.

I went to the kitchen to stick to what I planned earlier, I don't want to ruin my day with it.

I'll accept any decision they'll deliver to me and I want those words to come out right exactly from their own mouth.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll understand without further elaboration.

"Hi parents! Please settle yourselves down, ako na po ang bahala." I said, trying to make my voice lively.

Mom looked pale and dad was quiet, but even so, they managed to talk casually as they both greeted me with a kiss on my temple.

"Hmm.. Looks delish ah.."

"Of course, ako pa!" I proudly said, mom was the first one to try it and thankfully she liked it.

I smiled.

Thank you, God. For giving me such wonderful parents I'll adore and cherish forever, thank you for letting me experience a life every teenager wished to have kahit hindi ko pala sila kadugo.