XXII

It's been months at hindi na ulit nagpakita si Aiah kay Irene, pumupunta ito paminsan-minsan sa bahay ng lolo't lola niya but she's making sure that Irene and Beatrice are not there.

She can't just cut ties with her extended family with Irene's, papatayin siya ng konsensya niya.

Today, she will go to church. Malapit lang sa bahay nila, she went to her usual row of seats at nagdasal. She kneeled for minutes at uupo na sana ito when she saw a familiar figure just a few rows before hers.

It was Irene, rinig niya ang tahimik na hikbi nito. As much as she wants to go and ask her about it, she wants to stay true to her words.

Nasasaktan parin si Aiah kapag nakikita niyang umiiyak ang ina, it makes her feel weak and wants to cry too.

"Shield her with pain, Lord. Let her be happy, I've seen her cry so many times and I'm sorry if I cannot just comfort her now like before. She's a great person and I know she just wants the best for her daughter, hayaan niyo po siyang maging masaya. She deserves all the good things that the world can offer,"

After she prayed, tumayo agad ito upang makaalis at hindi siya makita ni Irene. Pinanindigan niya ng ilang buwan ang pag-iwas at hindi pagpapakita but what a really small world, nakita niya parin.

"Aiah.."

She just turned her back from the altar pero narinig niya na agad ang pangalan niya, napahinto ito dahil alam niya kung kaninong boses 'yun.

There were only few people inside the church and the voice echoed through the hall nung tinawag siya ulit neto, her voice were full of longing and sadness.

Irene on the other hand doesn't have the strength to stand up, nanghihina ang tuhod nito at nanginginig but she manages to walk towards her slowly.

"Let me hold you in my arms," sabi ulit ni Irene, they were just inches away from each other already.

"Kahit sandali lang.. Just until it's time,"

Humikbi si Irene habang sinasabi 'yun, napaiyak naman si Aiah sa narinig niya. One of her weakness is Irene begging something like this because it shouldn't be given that way, hindi niya kailangang magmakaawa para sa ganito.

"Aiah, I missed you so much.. Bumalik lahat ng sakit, anak. Hindi mo muna ako pinakinggan, you left me with no choice but to agree. You promised, right? 'Yun nalang yung pinanghawakan ko na babalik ka sa'kin,"

Nakatayo parin si Aiah habang umiiyak at pinapakinggan ang mga hinaing ni Irene.

"You don't have to stay away, you don't have to be kind all the time and give way kahit masasaktan ka sa gagawin mo, isipin mo naman yung sarili, anak. You don't have to always be strong, you're allowed to become weak and say no.."

Lindtsey sobbed silently, she realized how much she cared for everyone else na mas iniisip niya pa ang kapakanan at kasiyahan ng iba kaysa sa sarili niya.

"You've grown much and I can't believe that God answered my prayer right away because you're in front of me, happy birthday my Mariah.."

Yes. It's Aiah's birthday and this is what Irene prayed for, to see and greet Aiah in person.

This time, hindi na kinaya ng puso ni Aiah. She too, couldn't resist Irene. Niyakap niya ito ng mahigpit at umiyak.

"Hush my baby, mommy's here.."

"Mommy.."

It made Irene cried more.

"Oh my god. Can you say it again? can I hear it again? It's been awhile, anak.."

"Sorry, I'm so sorry mommy.."

Irene caressed her back, making her calm down. Pinaupo niya muna ito at pinunasan ang luha sa mga mata.

"You don't have to say sorry to me, ako nga ang may malaking kasalanan sayo e. I left you when I promised I won't. I didn't had a proper goodbye, umalis lang ako ng basta-basta. I caused you pain, I'm sorry Aiah, I'm really sorry.."

Irene held her cheeks and kissed her forehead a couple of times, she caress her hair and hugged her again.

"I almost got off the plane when the guard from Forbes called and told me that you were chasing us, it broke my heart that I couldn't even comfort you and comeback to you. You don't deserve to go through all of that, God, how I love you very much, Aiah.. I got sick for months and the doctor told me that I should take a proper rest, I couldn't come home. A lot of times I tried to reach you out after I cut my ways to contact you but I couldn't, hindi kita matawagan and I was just doing it through your tita Imee or your lolo and lola.." Irene uttered, she's holding Aiah's hands while telling her stories.

"They even sent me a video when you graduated, when you had your birthdays, when you spend time with them, I kept it anak.. I have it at yun lang yung meron ako that makes me want to live and continue life, living is not living at all without, Aiah.."

Lindtsey hugged her mother more, she just knew about this now, hindi niya lubos maisip ang lahat na pinagdaanan ni Irene and she felt bad for how the way she think about her and for the way she treated her, mas dinagdagan niya lang ang sakit.

"I didn't know.. I'm sorry," sabi ni Aiah.

"It's okay, I told you wala kang kasalanan. You don't have to say sorry, ako ang may mali, anak.."

"But I hurt you.."

"It doesn't matter, you make my heart happy din naman. I love you, Aiah. I'll make it up to you, okay?"

Aiah just smiled, niyakap niya ulit si Irene. She doesn't assume that this will stay as it is, hindi niya mommy si Irene at nandiyan si Beatrice.

"How are you going to celebrate your birthday, hm? Is it grand, intimate, or what?" tanong ni Irene.

Natahimik naman si Aiah, "No, I'm not going to celebrate it.." she replied.

"What? You always love to celebrate your birthday, why so? Tell mommy.."

"Um well, I think yeah I will but, siguro sa bahay nalang together with the kasambahay. Wala kasi sila mommy at daddy ngayon, they're out for business. Kaya I visited the church nalang.."

Irene felt bad, she wonder if this is how Aiah celebrated her birthday for the past years.

Aiah used to love organizing parties kaya naninibago si Irene ngayon, she doesn't want to ruin this day, if they're not able to make this day special for Aiah, Irene will.

"And maybe you're meant to come here and see me, so we need to make the most of it. Let's go out and eat together tapos let's do all that you want, shopping, visit boutiques, kahit ano.." Irene said trying to lighten up the mood at hindi naman siya nagkamali, it made Aiah smile.

"But it's Beatrice's birthday today too, aren't you suppose to have this time with her? For sure may celebration siya, right?" Aiah asked, she's a hundred percent sure na may celebration na magaganap ngayon para kay Beatrice.

Irene won't let a birthday pass without a celebration because she believes that it should be something we looked forward to and it's just once a year.

"Yes she has but later pa naman 'yun, mamayang gabi pa and she just wanted an intimate dinner. Come on, celebrate this day of yours with mommy. It has been five years since the last time, remember?" Irene said softly, she smiled at her and caress her shoulders.

Aiah smiled as a response.

"Look at you, mom. Your eyes it is more singkit already!"

"Well look at you too, singkit kana din!"

They both laughed as they left the church and went out of their way to celebrate this special day of Aiah.

____
Vote and Comment