TWENTY THREE

"halfway in love with my daughter huh?" james asked with a laugh.

charles turned bright red before offering him a sheepish smile, "mr. rhodes, a pleasure to meet you." he said, holding out his hand.

james took it and smiled kindly at him, "i'm james rhodes. and you're my daughters stalker right?" he asked and charles face flushed again.

"nice to meet you sir, and i'm charles. not quite sure on the stalker part though." he said with a nervous chuckle.

"my daughter told me once about you, how my lovely friend josie was playing cupid with you both." he said, a kind smile reaching his eyes.

charles just looked at josie, who was looking around innocently, "josie, is there something you didn't mention to me?"

josie gave the driver a quick hug before looking at james, "c'mon james, kennedy looks ready to kill me, and charles is just getting settled." she said.

james gave the driver a quick handshake before following the brunette away.

charles just looked around, spotting kennedy glaring at him, before making his way to his own room.

james and josie were laughing as they got back to the other pair.

"i just think it's funny how similar you and that charles look!" james said and josie laughed.

"you know, i thought that too but nobody ever pointed it out so i thought i was crazy." she added, making the man join in on her laughter.

kennedy and lewis stood there, one looking more amused than the other.

"are we done fraternizing with the enemy?" kennedy asked, her arms crossed and glaring at the pair.

james just smiled at his daughter, "yes, yes, of course sweetheart. let's go to dinner."

with that, the small group made their way to a nice restaurant and sat down, all talking and sharing anecdotes of each other.

the night got later and everyone was a little tipsy on some wine, excluding lewis as he didn't drink before races.

the group headed back to the hotel late that night, everyone bidding kennedy a goodnight as she was on a different floor from them.

"i hate heels." kennedy giggled to herself as she took off the stilettos in the elevator, holding them in her hand.

as the doors opened to her floor, she saw the dark haired driver she had been trying to avoid since they landed.

"no." she said, turning up her nose and pushing past him.

"rhodes! wait!" he called as kennedy power walked to her door.

as she got there, she turned and looked at him, glaring.

"i swear to god leclerc, if you talk to me ever again i will make you regret it for the rest of your life." she said sharply and the driver furrowed his brows.

"i'm sorry kennedy! i messed up! i know i did but please let me make it up to you!" he exclaimed.

kennedy just shook her head and dropped her heels, stalking up to him, "you weren't there. you didn't see all the countless hours i spent heartbroken, all the tears i wasted, over you! and then to find out you had messaged a guy who had liked me! all for what? to get my attention? for me to be yelling at you in a hallway in a country i don't even know?" she said, getting into his face.

charles breath quickened at how close they were, trying to ignore how good she looked with her cheeks flushed and her eyes fiery.

"are you even going to say anything?" she asked, taking a step back as she realized how close they were.

charles shook his head and kennedy laughed humorously.

"of course, not that i expected anything different for a man who ghosted me for months. god, and to think i was even learning french just to impress you." she said with a weak smile, turning and walking into her room.

charles just stood there, dumbstruck, wondering what the hell had just happened.

he had her where he could talk to her, hell, he could've even kissed her from how close she was, but he blew it because he couldn't stumble out the right words.

he just let out a sigh and went back to his room, not even remembering why he had come out in the first place.

kennedy on the other hand just sat down on her bed, trying to figure out where the anger had come from.

she thought she was over it, but that scene in the hallway didn't back that up.

she couldn't believe him. how could he had just stood there and taken that?

why didn't he kiss me?

she shook her head of those thoughts and went to the bathroom, changing into her pajamas and taking off her makeup.

tomorrow would be a new day, and she could go back to avoiding the stupid ferrari driver.

her nightly routine was interrupted by a knock at the door.

kennedy rolled her eyes, only one person coming to mind as she made her way over there.

"what do you want leclerc?" she called through the door.

she heard him sigh as she leaned against the door.

"i want to apologize for how i was. i didn't mean to make you cry, or ignore you. i couldn't handle my feelings kennedy." he said and the girl sighed, knowing she couldn't either.

"i want to open this door leclerc, but i don't think i will tonight. or ever for that matter. i don't want to see you again, please, for the sake of my heart." kennedy explained and she heard charles hit his head on the door.

"kennedy, please. i know you want to be friends, but i can't be friends with you. all because every single time i look at you, there's this feeling. and i want to keep looking at you. if you don't feel the same, i'll leave right now and never bother you again. but, if you feel what i do, can you please open the door and we can talk?" he asked.

kennedy felt tears building in her eyes, knowing that she couldn't deny that she did have that warm feeling everytime she saw him, or talked to him, or thought about him.

but then she thought about her life, and his life. they lived in two different parts of europe, and she didn't want him to give up his home for her, just like she didn't want to leave london.

"i can't charles. go to sleep." she whispered through the door.

she could hear him sigh, "bonne nuit rhodes."

"je'taime charles." she whispered as she heard him walk away.

and with that, kennedy spent her night sobbing on the ground.

so i finished the last chapter today and boy did it make my heart happy!

enjoy these!

love

m