SIX

for the next five races, charles was distracted.

everyone could see it, even kennedy.

she hadn't gone to another race since miami but she was always watching.

she felt bad, not knowing if he was off his game because of her or not. she thought maybe she had been too harsh on him back in miami, especially when after she had told josie what happened and the model told her she was horrible for saying that to such a sweet guy.

kennedy felt especially bad when, during the last race before summer break, charles barely missed the podium.

however, she couldn't worry for too long as she also had her job and life to worry about.

the days dragged on for what seemed like forever, she didn't want to eat but only wanted to exercise.

it didn't help that josie took the whole summer break off to spend it in monaco. there was no one there to help advise her on what to do.

of course, she knew her best friend was only a call away, but she didn't want to interrupt the models break or her time with lewis.

kennedy sat at her desk in her room in london, looking at her desktop, trying to figure out why she had no shoots coming up.

she had emailed her manager but had heard nothing back.

before she could send another email, a facetime call was coming through from her dad.

"kens!" he said excitedly when she picked up.

she girl gave him a warm smile, "hey dad. what's up?"

"i was just calling to see how my daughter was doing." he told her and she laughed.

"well, i haven't been scheduled for any shoots recently and it's making me worried." she opened up and her dad gave her a smile.

"i'm sure it'll be okay, you're a beautiful model kenny." he told her, making her feel slightly better.

"thank you dad. it just sucks." she said and he nodded.

the two caught up on life before her dad's eyes lit up.

"kenny," he started, "why did i have to find out you have a boyfriend through social media?"

kennedy just shook her head, "i don't have a boyfriend dad. i don't know what you're reading but i'm telling you i don't."

"then why does the media think you're dating max verstappen?" he asked, his eyebrow raised.

kennedy couldn't do anything but laugh. "dad, the day i start dating, you'll be the first one to know about it. but max is just my friend, i harbor no romantic feelings towards him."

james sighed. "i think you should get back into dating kens, i'm not saying f1 drivers, but maybe a relationship would do you good." he told her and she shook her head.

"i think i'm fine. i have work to focus on. and of course, i don't think i will ever date another driver. they just have too busy of a life and i have too busy of a life. we just wouldn't mesh well." she explained, making her dad sigh.

"well, since you don't have any shoots, i think you should take a vacation. maybe come home for a couple days?" he asked and she shook her head.

"if nico has decided to give me a break then maybe, but for now i really can't." she told james.

"well, i miss you, and i would love to see you if you get a chance." he said to his daughter and she smiled sadly.

"you know what, fuck it. let me book a flight for this weekend. i'll come stay for a couple days." she agreed and james cheered.

"awesome, i'll get your old room ready! i love you sweetie, i'll see you in a couple days!" he said and kennedy repeated it back before he hung up.

she went back to her desktop, looking at her email and her calendar to make sure she wouldn't be missing anything.

she saw a new email from nico telling her that he thought she needed a break and gave her a couple weeks off, coordinating with josies manager as he thought they were going on vacation together.

she just sighed. it was at times like these she wished she was an older model, as they weren't treated like children as much.

she emailed him back, thanking him for letting her know and that she wasn't aware he had given her time off and was now going to the states to see her family.

she sighed before looking at flights and booking one for the next day, not wanting to wait for the weekend, and texted her dad the flight.

soon, she showered and started packing, calling josie to tell her about what had been happening, also saying hi to lewis.

"you know, charles keeps asking for you kenny. he's always looking at your instagram as well." lewis mentioned, making kennedy roll her eyes.

"well good for him." she said dryly and the driver laughed.

"c'mon kenny! he's an attractive guy! maybe you could come out and join us for a week after you see your dad! i know max and carlos would be excited, and of course we would too." lewis chuckled, almost convincing her.

kennedy pondered it for a moment, it would be fun, and she did want to apologize to the ferrari driver for being a little harsh.

"maybe. i'll talk to my dad and see what he thinks." she decided, making lewis and josie cheer.

"i can't wait to see charles' face! he's going to be so happy!" josie joked and kennedy scowled.

"you're both horrible, i'll maybe see you guys in monaco." kennedy said, saying her byes and hanging up.

the girl packed her suitcase, this time also throwing in some clothes to wear out in monaco.

she finally finished packing a couple hours later, in addition to making dinner, before settling into bed, excited for the long day tomorrow.