1.23

School was officially over and summer break had started faster than I had imagined. It was August now, my favorite time of the year. I returned home from spending the day shopping with Elvira.

I was walking up the stairs to my bedroom when a voice called after me.

"Sweetheart, come to the kitchen, please,"

When I entered the room, I found my parents standing in front of me. Serious expressions on their faces.

"Take a seat." My dad pointed to the dining table.

"Did something happen?" I frowned.

"We want to talk to you about your relationship with Oliver."

Oliver. Not Ollie. Something was definitely wrong.

"What about it?"

"We want you to stop seeing him."

"What? No, you can't do that!" I stood up.

"Calm down. You are seventeen. We are your parents and you will listen to us." My mother's voice was firm.

"I don't understand. I thought you liked him. Why would you ask me to do something like that? I'm in love with him."

"You don't even know what love is. You're far too young to understand." My dad said.

I was at a loss for words. I couldn't believe it. Would they really do this to me?

"He's not right for you. Ever since you met him, you've been so different."

"I'm not different."

"Yes, you are. You've been lying to us, sneaking around behind our backs, throwing parties. You are out of control Olivia!"

"I'm just trying to fit in! You have no idea how hard it is for me, to move all the time. Losing my friends in a matter of weeks. I hate it. Now that I'm finally happy, you want to take that from me too?"

"We are simply looking out for you. You need to focus on school. Your grades have been dropping drastically."

"I'm not going back to school."

"Why? Because neither is Ollie?" My dad moved a hand through his hair, "Don't you realize how much he has changed you?"

"None of this is his fault. I'm growing up, and you have to deal with it. I'm not breaking up with him." I said, leaving the room.

I sprinted up the stairs.

"Come back right now!" My mom shouted after me.

I grabbed the backpack and started putting clothes and toiletries in it.

"What do you think you're doing?" My father had followed me upstairs.

I ignored him, grabbing the bags of clothes I had bought earlier that day. I walked back downstairs.

"Olivia!" My father called. I stopped and turned around. He was standing at the foot of the staircase, a confused expression on his face.

"I'm leaving. Clearly you two are out of your minds. You can't tell me what to do. I'm old enough to make my own decisions." I had reached a door, putting a hand on the handle.

"If you leave now, don't you dare come back!" My mother shouted.

I took a breath before opening the door and walking out.

...

Tears were running down my face as I made my way down the street. I had to leave, there was no other option. I didn't understand why they still didn't like Ollie. Actually, I didn't understand any of what they said. Yes, I hadn't been the shy, quiet little girl that I once was. But that was a good thing, wasn't it?