Ch. 32

Christmas Eve: part 2

"Tell me again why I have to do this." I ask with a groan while putting some gold ornaments on the tree.

"Emani will love it and I love it. Christmas is my favorite holiday. If I knew earlier that you were her father we would have been doing this last year." She says while putting the pink ornaments on.

I don't know how she did it but she convinced me to get a white tree and the decorations are pink, gold, silver, and black.

"Did you have a white tree last year?" I ask her and finish off all the gold balls and I get the silver ones.

"Yeah but the ornaments were purple for Alyssa." She says with a smile.

I really admire the fact that she treats the girls equally even though Alyssa isn't really her daughter.

"Was Emani upset?" I ask curiously.

"No, she didn't really notice that because she was only 1." She says

"What happens when they get older or what happens next year with the tree?" I ask her.

"It's mommy's turn." She says with a smile.

"When's daddy's turn? I'm not gonna be having girly trees forever." I say to her with a chuckle.

"I'll let you know. Now let's put on the black balls because we still have to put on the garlands, the glitter, and candy canes." She says to me.

She grabs the black balls and puts them on the lower rows and I go to the top.

We finish everything in about 20 minutes and I'm exhausted.

"What now?" I say and sit on the couch.

"Well now we wait until Mani gets home. She gets a bath, and you take a shower at the same time. Then I'll go take one. By the way I got us matching pajamas for a Christmas picture." She says and sits next to me.

That makes me smile and cringe at the same time.

"I don't know if I should be happy or worried." I say with a small smile.

"Both, but after we can make the cookies, then the gingerbread house. She'll be worn out by then so we can put her to bed and start on wrapping the presents." She says

"When can I sleep?" I ask her.

"2 am if you're a fast wrapper. You're the one that got her all the gifts and waited to try and wrap them." She says with a laugh.

All her presents from me are on the third floor in the old pet room. There's another present that will be here in the morning but it's a surprise.

It's my first Christmas with my daughter, I didn't know how to stop buying things.

"I'll try to be." I say with a shrug.

"So did you ever figure out what you're going to do with your mom?" She asks me.

"I'll meet her. She's already here so I might as well." I say while looking at her. Her smile turns wide and she leans over and hugs me.