Uncle Miguel

(I feel like I've done one exactly like this begore, or maybe I've just thought about it but haven't written it? Oh well either way enjoy) 

Your Uncle wasn't kind, you knew that.

You also knew he hated your very existence. But, he was the only one who could take care of you after your parents died in an accident.

Miguel never wanted children, he wanted to live life alone as a priest, serving his God.

But, life had different plans.

You sat in the back of the church while Miguel finished up for the Sunday.

The last people leaving said goodbye to you before you ran up to Miguel.

"I stayed quiet the whole time!" You said happily as he looked down at you.

"Yes, I noticed." He grumbled before grabbing his house keys off the table behind him.

"Head home." He muttered tossing the keys to you.

"But, it's getting dark." You replied, he didn't even look up from his holy bible.

"And?" He grumbled before you sighed and walked away.

You put your hoodie over your head and rushed back home before night hit.

You made it home and rummaged through the cupboard to find a few snacks to dinner before sitting in front of the TV to eat them.

You fell asleep on the couch when Miguel returned, he looked at you and rolled his eyes.

He shook you awake and you groaned softly and opened your eyes. 

"Go shower and brush your teeth then go to bed." He said as you rubbed your eyes and yawned. 

You slowly got up and stumbled to the bathroom as Miguel cleaned up the various empty packets you left from 'dinner.' 

After you showered and brushed your teeth you came back downstairs to Miguel. 

"Can you watch TV with me until I fall asleep?" You asked as he looked at you with annoyance evident in his face. 

"No, go to bed." He grumbled making you sigh.

"Fine..." 

--

You could sleep during the night, your sleep riddled with nightmares. 

You made your way to Miguel's room and slowly climbed up on his bed, cuddling up beside him. 

When Miguel awoke in the morning you were laid out on top of him. 

He chuckled softly and couldn't help but think you were kind of cute, laying there, even with drool coming out of your mouth.. You slowly woke up and looked at Miguel before rolling off him. 

"Sorry... I couldn't sleep last night." You muttered as you sat on the side of the bed. 

"It's alright, you didn't disturb my sleep." He replied, he just watched you as you faced away from him. 

"Why do you hate me?" You whispered sadly as Miguel looked at you in shock. 

"I-I don't hate you, Y/N." He muttered, not exactly sounding believing. 

"Yes you do." You grumbled making him sigh. 

"Listen, I didn't want this. I didn't want a kid I had to look after." He replied, as you slowly turned around to face him. 

He could tell you were holding back tears. 

"Neither did I... I didn't want my parents to die and to be left with someone who despises my entire existence." You whispered before you burst out in tears and ran back to your room, slamming the door shut. 

Miguel sighed and rubbed his head. 

He hadn't exactly been fair to you, he'd been so preoccupied thinking he was the victim he never stopped to think about how much you had to take on...and even more how much he had let you grieve all by yourself. 

He sighed and got out of bed, going to your room and opening the door to see you crying on your bed. 

"Y/N... It's okay, I'm not here to yell, I just want to talk." He muttered, kneeling beside your bed and looking at your teary eyes. 

"I haven't been fair, not at all. I haven't treated you fairly because I believed it wasn't my duty to take care of you. But, I don't hate you. I could never hate you. A part of me blamed you for what happened, I was so focused on grieving my sister I wasn't there for you to grieve your Mom and Dad." He whispered, remorse evident in his tone. 

"I don't want to be bad, I'm trying to be good." You replied, his heart aching even further. 

"I know, Y/N. I'm the one that needs to be good... Not you. You're a good kid, a really good kid, okay? And I'm going to start being better for you. I promise." He whispered, slowly reaching up and brushing some hair away from your face. 

Suddenly you jumped off your bed and into his arms, hugging him tightly. 

He chuckled softly and hugged you back. 

"So, you don't hate me?" You muttered, Miguel closed his eyes and held you. 

"No, no I don't hate you, Y/N."