Chapter 1

Do I have time to rub one out? I thought to myself with my hands halfway tucked into my purple lace panties. But as I glanced at my phone, the alarm had been going off for the past three minutes, reminding me that time was not on my side. Finally, I turned it off and tilted my head out towards the large window beside me, letting out a faint sigh.

The sun slowly rose and brought a purple and pink ombré-stained sky along with it. A scene, beautiful enough to make anyone want to stay in bed. But like most things, including this enchanting sunrise, aren't permanent and it was time to get my ass up. I flinched to the vibration of my cell phone, looking to see the text message Aaron sent me.

Aaron: Good morning, sexy.

: Good morning.

That pet name that he gave me was beginning to sound played out because he used it so often. The originality or sincerity behind it felt overrated and overused to the point where I even stopped reacting to it whenever he called or texted me.

Aaron: You working today? I want that ass all to myself...

:Unfortunately, yes. I'm not off until 6. Wanna get together afterwards?

Almost immediately after I texted back, Aaron sent me a voice recording through text:

Aaron: Come and see me for once, come and see me for once. You never come to me, Lavender!

Aaron terribly sang as loud as he could, bringing me to chuckle.

: Lol I think I have time for that.

I replied with a smiley face. When I didn't hear back from him, I finally got up and stretched my body. I removed my white crop top t-shirt and traded it for a set of dark green high-waisted leggings and a matching sports bra.

I then grabbed a pair of ankle socks and threw on my running shoes. Before leaving my room, I was stopped in my tracks when I almost forgot to plant a kiss on the old photo of Mama that stood on my long dresser drawer.

"Good morning, Mama. I miss you." I silently whispered, followed by a short peck to the 8x10 photo frame.

Alongside Mama's photo, stood a photo of my dad holding Jasmine, my little sister and me by his side when we were younger and another of my best friend Samyra and I in our graduation cap and gowns at Maryland University

Alongside Mama's photo, stood a photo of my dad holding Jasmine, my little sister and me by his side when we were younger and another of my best friend Samyra and I in our graduation cap and gowns at Maryland University. I smiled and made my way towards the front door.

I pulled my long coiled hair into a manageable bun, allowing loose strands to flow on both sides of my face and started up my neo soul music playlist and began my run. I ran outwards through the neighborhood in a slow-paced manner. As I approached the running trail behind the large apartment complex where I live, my pace quickened.

Thirty minutes had passed and my burning lungs caused me to stop at the entrance of the complex where I caught my breath and went back inside to my apartment. I whipped up a breakfast sandwich with egg whites, bacon, cheese, salt, pepper, and avocado on whole grain bread. Not wanting to sit and tire out before work, I stood up with both my elbows planted on the kitchen island and began eating, hearing Samyra's door open.