Chapter 24

One large rose gold suitcase and two stuffed Louis Vuitton duffle bags later, and I was at Washington Dulles International Airport being escorted into a small white shuttle van from my terminal to the tarmac, where a private jet was waiting for me.

I was greeted by the pilot, who opened my door for me. Another man in a white uniform greeted me, taking my luggage, then escorted me inside where a cute stewardess was waiting for me with a flute of champagne. The luxurious interior of the jet was fitted with plush leather seats and a mahogany wood finish, the scent of fresh leather lingering in the air.

"Good evening, Ms. Miles."

"Hi, good evening." I smiled.

"Here, please have a seat." she ushered me to my seat.

"Thank you." I smiled again, taking the glass. I could hear the loud whirring of the jet's engines from inside, my plush leather seat vibrating slightly and my heart raced. Before switching my phone to airplane mode, I texted Shane to let him know that I was boarding, giving him my ETA.

As I sipped on the champagne, the stewardess asked me if I needed anything else, to which I politely declined. She then instructed me on the safety protocol and what to do in case of an emergency. I nodded along, but my mind was elsewhere.

It's been a week since I've seen Shane and even though I missed him badly, It was nice to be apart for a while and have space in our relationship. We knew that this way, it lets us appreciate each other more when we reconnect. I couldn't believe that Shane had done all of this for me.

The private jet, the special accommodations and just the overall thoughtfulness of it all. Although not necessary, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the special treatment or that It didn't make me feel special.

The stewardess dimmed the lights and the pilot channeled in to speak for a bit, giving me details of the flight and what to expect while during the flight and the jet began to take off.

I looked out the small window, a little startled at the loudness of the engine and the overall feeling like the plane was going to fall apart, but that subsided once we were in the air, the city lights below me getting smaller and smaller.

I emptied my glass and reclined my seat back some few inches and as tired as I felt, I couldn't drift off to sleep, knowing that my man would be on the other side of the door waiting for me.

Five hours later and the subtle lights returned to a normal hue as we continued downward to ground level.

"Ms. Miles, we're getting ready to land. You may want to put on your seatbelt and adjust your seat for landing."

I quickly sat up and buckled my seatbelt, my heart racing with excitement. I had never been to Hidden Hills before and couldn't wait for Shane to show me around.

The jet landed on a private airstrip and after landing, I had to sit for a few moments while they performed post-landing procedures and then I was ushered to the door.

As soon as it opened, a wave of cool night air mixed with humid heat immediately hit me, Shane waiting downstairs patiently on the tarmac with the biggest smile on his face.

He had on a nice chest-exposing suit that just screamed California, a floral patterned shirt underneath with a complimenting gold chain and a bouquet of flowers, beautifully wrapped in cellophane and secured with thick, white ribbons.

"Hey there, beautiful." He greeted me as I made my way down, my boots clinking against the metal stairs. "Welcome to Hidden Hills."