Chapter 4

Jet lag wasn't even the word I needed to describe my energy level at the moment. After the flight landed, Samyra, Ralph and I grabbed our luggage and headed outside to hail a cab to our hotel. On the way there, I admired all of the beautiful landscapes of the busy city.

The palm trees towered over us as we drove through and I was surprised to see that Ralph and Samyra weren't bickering but didn't wanna jinx them by mentioning it.

They even started talking about shopping and checking out some of the beaches before our flight back Sunday evening. I chimed in for a bit before receiving a notification that Jasmine had returned the fifty dollars I sent her last night. With me being so busy at work this past month, I was missing my little sis and wanted to hear her voice anyway, so I decided to give her a call.

"Hi sissy!" Jasmine greeted me loudly. I could hear the loud screeching of the metal rails on Jasmine's end of the call. Living in the heart of the DMV makes the metro rail our main source of transportation so it was easy to tell that she was out and probably on her way to have ramen with her friends like she told me she would be doing.

"Hey Jasmine, What are you up to? I miss you."

"I miss you too, Lavi. Nothing, just on my way to meet my friends for ramen. I told you about it yesterday, what's up?"

"Yeah, I just saw that you sent the money back. Did daddy give you your allowance instead?" I said furrowing my eyebrows.

"Nope, guess what?"

"What?" I asked concerningly.

"One of my subscribers donated a thousand dollars to me during my stream last night!" I could picture how ecstatic she would look if we were face-to-face.

"What? Wow! That's great, Jazzy," I was just as excited and it wasn't even my damn money. "How'd that happen?"

"I don't know, you just get random donations sometimes, ya know? I went on a 21-0 kill streak last night while gaming and then all of a sudden my subscriber count started going up and then outta nowhere, this fucking guy donated me a thousand fucking dollars!"

"First of all, watch your mouth. Second, that's awesome! We should celebrate."

"Well I'm actually glad you called, can you take me to the mall this weekend? I wanna go shopping now." She giggled.

"Actually, I'm in Cali working, Jazzy."

"Oh, but I'm boujee?" I could hear her whisper.

"I heard that. Anyway, why don't you ask Daddy to take you?"

"Yeah sure, lemme tell dad that I let a bunch of middle-aged white men watch me play video games live and one of 'em just so happened to give me a thousand dollars," She scoffed obnoxiously, "He would seize my money so fucking quick, Lavender! Um, no! Plus, he's been acting weird and I haven't really seen or talked to him since yesterday."

I was taken back by what Jasmine said about our dad. Even after Mama died, he always made sure that we never saw him in any type of off-putting moods. He smiled, danced and lifted our spirits whenever the room called for it. Still concerned, I made a mental note to call him once things settled down here because it wasn't in his nature to seclude himself the way Jasmine just described.

"Okay?" I laughed, "You're with Raven, right? How about taking the train there?"

"Why? So someone can catch us slipping and jump me for my stuff? Um no, thank you. I'll wait for you to get back," She said, "So, er, when do you get back?"

"I'll be back late Sunday evening."

"Okay so how about you pick me up after you get off Monday?"

"Yeah, that works."