Chapter 9

Days turned into weeks and as much as I wanted to put it off, Shane's cafe was the focal point of the project. In order to deliver the best results, I needed to go to his cafe and gather more information from him. I decided to visit his cafe in Palmer Alley to get a better understanding of the business.

As I walked in, I'm immediately greeted by the friendly staff, all training for the soft opening that was scheduled to take place in a few weeks. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee hugs my nostrils and the sound of low-tempo Lo fi music plays softly in the background.

Shane was behind the counter, guiding an electrician to what looks like some lights nearby that needs attention, all with a smile on his face, which in turn, made me smile.

"Hey, Lavender. What brings you here today?" he asked, noticing me as I walked closer to him.

"Hey, I wanted to get a better understanding of your cafe and the experience you offer to your customers," I replied.

"Sure, I'll give you the grand tour." Shane smiles, gesturing with his head for me to follow him. We walked around the cafe, Shane explained the concept behind the business, the menu, and the various events they host throughout the week at this and his other locations.

I was impressed by Shane's attention to detail and his passion for the business, happily taking notes along the way.

"I have to say, Shane, I'm really impressed by what you've created here. It's clear that you're passionate about your business," I complimented him.

"Thank you, Lavender. I pour my heart and soul into all of my cafes," Shane replied, giving me a warm smile. I couldn't help but feel a connection with Shane as we continued to talk.

I found myself opening up to him and sharing details about my personal life. It was as if we had known each other for years. As we finished the tour, I realized that I had been there for hours. I had lost track of time because of how comfortable I felt around him.

"I should probably get going," I said, checking my watch.

"Already? I was hoping we could grab a drink and continue our conversation," Shane suggested, looking at me with hopeful eyes. I hesitated for a moment but returned his soft gaze with a smile and I eventually agreed.

I followed him out and stood behind him, watching him lock up. Then we walked down the block to a nearby bar and settled into a cozy booth, side by side. The lights were low and the atmosphere was relaxed. We ordered drinks and it didn't take long before we started back up chatting.

The way we conversed with each other felt natural. He had a way of making me feel like I was the center of his world, and in that moment, I let myself believe it. He was the one asking questions, genuinely interested in my answers.

"So, how did you get into the cafe business?" I asked. The music was so loud that I had to lean in closer to hear him. Our faces were barely inches apart and I could smell the peppermint on his breath. And his eyes, I was mesmerized by how intense they appear under the dim light of the bar.

"Well, it actually started when I was a kid. My mom used to cook these amazing breakfasts every morning, and I would help her make coffee. I loved the smell of the coffee beans and the sound of the grinder."

"That's amazing, Shane. Sounds like you had a passion for coffee from a young age," I replied, impressed by Shane's dedication.

He nodded, taking a sip of his drink. "Mhm", he nodded proudly. "When I got older and started making my own coffee, I realized that I wanted to share my love of coffee with others. That's when I decided to open my first cafe two years ago."