Chapter 28

The warm California sun hit our faces as Shane and I stepped out of the airport to the kiss and ride area. While we waited for Shane's driver to take us back to his home, I pulled out my phone, scrolling through the photos we had taken during our trip.

The rush of emotions I felt was overwhelming—there was so much to do in Columbia, that part of me was ready to cancel our flight and continue exploring. But at the same time, I missed my friends and family and just the familiarity of being around the people I know and love. All in all, Shane and I had an amazing time there and it was time to get back to our normal lives.

"Hey, baby," Shane said, interrupting my thoughts. "Did you hear what I said?"

"I'm sorry, no." I replied, stroking his hand.

"I said we should grab some lunch before heading home. I know the perfect spot, it's not too far from here."

Home

Hearing that word roll off Shane's lips so effortlessly made me smile at the thought of us sharing a home and possibly more than that. What it would be like to come home to him every day, to have him by my side, to wake up to his smile every morning.

I looked up at him, smiling and nodding, only to be distracted again by a text from my dad.

Daddy: Hey baby. Pre-trial meeting with the lawyers on Monday @ 3PM

"Everything okay, baby?" Shane asked, concerned.

"Yeah. We have a pre-trial meeting on Monday..." I said, putting my phone deep into my purse and I blew another sigh, knowing that the reality of my life was about to hit me again. "For the Neugrow lawsuit."

"Are you nervous? Do you need me to come with you?"

I shook my head and smiled. "No, it's okay, I'll be fine. Thank you for offering though."

"Of course," he says. "Well we've got three days until then and the JT concert is tomorrow. So hopefully I can help take your mind off it for a little while longer."

"I'm sure you will," I said, giving him a quick kiss on the lips. The driver arrived in an all black SUV. Shane held the door open and grabbed my hand to help me in and he hopped in after me. Just then, Shane's phone rang.

"Hold on, baby." he said as he reached for it in his pocket. He glanced at the caller ID and a slight look of surprise crossed his face.

"I know this is not Brandon Campbell hitting me up right now." he said excitedly as he answered, raising an eyebrow.

"Haha Yeah, yeah, I know. What's good with you, man?" I heard a voice from the other side of the call chuckling.

"Brandon?" I whispered, feeling a little confused since Shane never mentioned any friends by that name.

"He attended Stanford with me," Shane whispered back with his hand hovered over the mic part of the phone. "Yeah, my girlfriend and I just got back in town, we were in Columbia for a few weeks."

"Ah." I replied.

"It's going good, man. Yeah, I got two on the east coast now. Exactly, busy as hell. What about you? How was your Christmas?" They continued their conversation for a few minutes, catching up, it seemed.

Brandon was calling to let Shane know that he Just passed his Bar Exam and was in town. He wanted to go out for drinks later on tonight but Shane politely declined because he was spending time with me.

"Yeah I'll ask her and we'll think about it, but like I said, we just got back and we're pretty beat. Yeah, alright, man. But, aye congrats again." Shane said before ending the call with Brandon and turning to me with a smile, stroking my leg.

"Sounds like it's been a while." I smiled.

"Yeah, it has. We used to be really close in college and we drifted off after he dropped out," Shane replied, still smiling. "But he finally went back and finished. I'm happy for him, passing the Bar Exam is no easy feat."

"Better late than never." I say. "You should go and support your friend tonight. I can wait for you to get back."

"Nah, it's okay, baby. I'll have other opportunities to catch up with him."

I nodded understandably and smiled. "Unless you'll come with me." He says.

"Of course I'll go with you." I replied, excited at the thought of meeting one of Shane's old friends. Shane knew everything about me, my friends and family, and it was only fair that I got to know more about his friends too.

Shane smiled at me, his eyes lighting up. "Really?"

"Yeah, let's do it. I'm sure it'll be fun."

"Okay great, I'll text him when we get home to let him know that we're coming." He kissed my neck and my lips some more, pulling me closer against him.