Chapter 15

"Hey... hey... baby," Shane's voice gently called out, rousing me from my sleep. I groaned softly, my mind still clinging to the remnants of last night. It was too early for coherent thoughts, and I was determined to hold on to the comfort of slumber.

"Hmm?" I mumbled, my words slurred as I tried to cover more of  myself with the throw blanket, burying my face deeper into his neck.

He chuckled, his fingers lightly tracing back and forth over the line art of the water lily tattoo on my hip, our naked bodies still pressed against each other. "Good morning."

"Morning," I replied softly. "Now go back to sleep."

"I'm not tired anymore." He laughed lightly, his touch sending shivers down my spine. Resting on the chaise in the living room, the soft light of dawn began to creep inward, casting a gentle glow across the space.

My eyes finally fluttered open, and for a moment, I remained still, taking in the sight before me. Shane's peaceful expression was truly genuine. His arms were still wrapped around me, holding me close as if I was his prized possession.

"Do you have to leave?" I asked presumedly, remembering his flight scheduled for this morning.

"No." My heart skipped a beat, his response catching me off guard.

I looked up at him, "What about your flight?"

He shook his head slightly, "I wasn't planning on just leaving you, so I rescheduled my flight while you were sleeping. I hope that's okay."

"It's more than okay." A mixture of surprise and happiness flooded over me. He had chosen to stay, to prioritize being with me over his original plans. I smiled, unable to contain my joy. Still, I needed to know what that meant for us. "Shane..."

"And I know it's not that simple." He interjected, softly, "I know there are complications and uncertainties. But I also know that I want to explore this, whatever this is between us. And I'm more than willing to take things one step at a time, if you are." I took a moment before speaking.

"I'm a very patient person, Shane."

"I am, too."

"And I want this... you," I reiterated.

"I do, too."

"Just don't lie to me, okay?" The hurt in my eyes was now visible. His expression softened.

"I promise you, Lavender. No lies, nothing like that. Just us, being real with each other." A sense of relief washed over me as I took in his promise. It was exactly what I needed to hear, exactly what I wanted from him. He leaned in, his lips brushing mine in a tender kiss.

"What else will you be doing today?" I asked.

"Well, I do need to check in on my cafes now that I'll still be in town for a few extra days. But after that, I'm all yours." He said excitedly. "Can I take you out tonight?"

My heart skipped a beat at his words, and a smile spread across my face at the idea of spending more time with him outside ALT9 and the cafe walls.

"I'd love that," I smiled, my excitement undeniable at this point.

The sunlit corner of the cozy brunch spot was full of people chatting but it was easy to hear the clinking of silverware against plates. Mingling scents of various dishes filled the air and the aroma of coffee made me smile because I now associate the smell with Shane.

Despite the comforting and warm atmosphere, Samyra and Ralph, however, were far from it. I now sat across from them two, watching as they downed their second and third mimosas, squealing and hysterically clapping after I just told them what happened with Shane and I.