Chapter 32

We fell asleep, wrapped around one another with nothing but the sound of heavy rainfall and our steady heartbeats to carry us through the night. His bare skin, pressed against mine, was what my body craved and more. But it was the feeling of being alone that woke me up, something that my body had gotten used to over the past few weeks.

When my eyes creeped open, I saw Shane but he was sitting up at the edge of the bed in front of me, observing me quietly. He must've been watching me sleep because his smile softened when our eyes locked.

"Good Morning." He says, bringing his right hand to my hip. Feeling his touch again and hearing his deep voice sends chills down my spine. I loosely draped my frontside with the sheets. Then, I sat up so that I could swing my legs around to the edge of the bed where he sits.

"Good Morning."Shane gets down on both his knees and kneels in between my legs, resting his hands closely on both of my sides.

"How did you sleep?" He asks, looking up at me with appreciation and concern. He also looks like he has something to say and I look downward to meet his eyes.

"Good. Thank you."

"That's good. I'm glad." He strokes his thumb against my hip and a few moments pass before I rest my hand on his nape. "I just want to apologize, for everything that's happened... I've hurt you, Lavender and it kills me, knowing that the choices I've made before, and after meeting you have caused you this much pain.

"I appreciate that," I whisper.

"Thank you, baby, but it's not enough." He says. "The only thing I care about right now, is getting back your time, your love, and most importantly, your trust."

My voice is caught in my throat as my mama's words from her letter and Shane's apology swirl together in my mind. I listen to her, holding Shane's gaze while trying to read the sincerity in his eyes, and it was there.

It was all there. I choose to believe in his apology and his genuine desire to make things right.

And I forgive him.

"You already have."

And with that, I close the distance and Shane wraps his arms around my waist, my hand still resting on his nape and our lips connect. It's a slow and gentle kiss, filled immensely with love and healing.

My phone was where I left it last night, back in the front of Shane's penthouse and I could hear a call coming through, interrupting us.

Shane steps back understandably, helping me stand up so I could walk to go and grab it. My back is exposed and the sheets fall between my legs as I rush to grab it before the ringing stops.

My mouth parts, getting ready to speak but Jessica, our attorney, doesn't give me time to answer when she beats me to the punch.

"Lavender? Hey, sorry to disturb you but we need you and Mr. Miles to come to the firm as soon as you can," Jessica's urgent voice fills the line. "We've had a major breakthrough in your case. Meet me at the office now, please."

"Wait, wh—" Jessica never sounds like she does now. She's usually calm and diligent but I feel rushed and that she and John must have uncovered something big. I don't want to know but at the same time, I can't ignore the anticipation that surges through me. So I don't question her. "Okay, we're on the way," I say quickly, ending the call, turning to Shane.

He puts his hand to my lower back and I can't even relay the message, but my thoughts are running wild and uncertain.

"What is it?"

I shake my head, still trying to process the sudden phone call. "I don't know, but they need my dad and I at the firm. Are my work clothes still here?"

"Of course they are." We walk back towards his room and without hesitation, Shane grabs his shirt from the floor and quickly pulls it on. I walk over to the top drawer of his dresser and change. Shane sits patiently while I finish getting ready, sitting at the edge of the bed with his elbows resting on his knees, observing me.

My hands start to shake and while I struggle to get my shoes on and text my dad back, he stands up and walks over to me, gently squeezing my hand.

"Don't worry, baby. Whatever it is, I'll be right here, okay? Here, I'll drive you."

"Okay." I nodded, blowing a large raspberry with no other option but to calm my nerves and listen to him. After grabbing my purse, we exit together and take the elevator down to the lobby before walking outside to where Shane's truck is parked.

The ride to the law firm is a tense one. Rain pours down around us and Shane's right hand rests on my thigh as comfort. I cling to his touch with my left hand on top of his as we drive through the busy streets in silence. When we pull in, my dad is already parked, his headlights illuminating the entrance of the building.

Leonard steps out with an umbrella for me, but stops and winces as he notices Shane getting out from the driver side to come around and meet me with one also.