Chapter Nine

"That was incredible," said Landon, making a right turn down the wide corridor.

"It was delicious," said Lynx. "The potatoes practically melted in my mouth! I've never had food as good as that before."

"Not the food!" said Landon, playfully pushing Lynx and laughing. "I meant that power. You had to have felt it!"

"Oh, that," said Lynx. It had made him uncomfortable, but he wasn't sure what else he should say.

"It had to have been the Elder witches or Alphas," said Landon. "I've never felt anything like that before."

"Nor me," said Lynx, "But I'd hate to have that power. That much power is uncomfortable to be around I think. And what if they ever lost control."

Landon winced at the thought. "Fair point. It is cool though. I wonder what will become of it all."

"That power?" said Lynx.

"Well, yeah that," said Landon, adjusting his grip on his travel bag, "but also.. what it means I guess. All these things have to be happening for a reason."

"What things?" said Lynx, but Landon seemed a bit wary to answer as if maybe there were some things he wasn't supposed to mention.

"Just the Hybrid and the prophecy is all," said Landon.

Lynx wondered if that was all. Landon consulted his map before taking a left turn toward where the dorms were located.

Lynx followed quietly. His mind was busy with thoughts.

They found Landon's room first. The building seemed to have a kind of square frame center consisting of spacious main corridors. In the center was a massive park-sized courtyard. It was too dark to see out though.

Branching off from each side of the central square, there were other passageways. According to the map, some lead off to quiet spaces to study. But others lead to general hang-out areas and game rooms. But still others lead to protected practice rooms where students could shift into their second forms or use their magic, and practice their abilities without a risk of damaging the space.

'Not that I'll be using those practice rooms much, thought Lynx silently, hurrying his steps a bit to catch up to Landon.

Most shifters took the form of wolves. Hence all the myths and stories about werewolves. But it was much different in reality. There are some Shifters that don't need a full moon to access their second form. And Apart from turning into a wolf on full moons there are some that can turn into other wolf types, like a human wolf and some can even control which body parts they can turn. This is because an Arcane witch either did a spell on their bloodline or was born like that though it's very rare, basically a legend.

hybrids can control their shiftings and can turn normal people into a werewolf. He'd never heard of a normal person turning into a werewolf though. He'd heard of some stories a century old, but so few it might be more of a myth.

Lynx found himself thinking about the wolves. He remembered how when he was younger he'd think about if he were a werewolf and it'd be so embarrassing if he'd been not able to shift. And yet, it might've been worse then being born with no magic. The pack would've kicked him out for sure if he'd been born shiftless.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure the dorms are this way," said Landon, taking a turn into a still smaller corridor. Lynx looked at his map also. It looked like all the dorms were located in this area.

"Here!" said Landon, stopping a bit too suddenly. "This is mine"

He lifted his keycard to the scanner on the door, and it clicked unlocked.
Lily looked past Landon into the room as Landon placed his traveling bag on the bed nearest the door. It was a modest room, yet still spacious. Much larger than the room Lynx had shared with his three roommates back at the Zarkov Coven. Gosh, that seemed like a long time ago now. Did they only leave this morning?

He wondered if he'd ever return... But did he want to return?

But that was an easy question. He had to return. He had to see the orphans again. The family that he'd created and stuck by through such difficult situations.

"See you at breakfast tomorrow?" said Lynx

"No way," said Landon. "I haven't seen your room yet!"

Lynx smiled. He felt lucky to have found such a good friend. He was glad he didn't have to go to his room alone also. He couldn't be sure if he'd have roommates there. He wondered what his room would look like.

Being here, in this strange new world, felt so surreal. It felt... exciting. Lynx recognized that was a rather foreign feeling to him before now. And yet, it was an amazing feeling.

"Let's go then!" he said to Landon.