Chapter Twenty Eight

"Christopher's a lycan?!" said Lynx. "No way!"

"I think Christopher is one too," said Mason, it was Sunday and they were gathered around a huge carved wooden table. Landon was organizing a stack of books at one end.

"Yeah but.. Wasn't it rare to be a lycan?" said Lynx.

"You really should read these books," said Landon, sliding a copy of The history of Lycans towards them and The return of the hybrids.

"Could be interesting I guess," said Lynx flipping it open. "That reminds me, did you ever figure out who Mr. Dark was?"

"Hm," said Landon sounding a bit nonplused. "It's hard to say just yet."

Lynx looked up from the book. Hard to say? What was hard about it, he wondered. "What about the stuff Erin said? You told him that it wasn't my fault and that I didn't know. What don't I know."

Mason looked up from the book he'd been reading, curious about what Landon might say.

"Well isn't it obvious?"

Lynx considered this and decided that clearly, it wasn't obvious. He felt frustrated with Landon. What was he hiding from him?

"Maybe you could just tell me," said Lynx at
last.

Landon was quiet for a long minute. He looked uncomfortable. "I- I wish I could Lynx. But... I'm not allowed."

"Not allowed by who?" said Mason.

"I'm not at liberty to disclose such information," said Landon.

Lynx felt himself becoming more removed from Landon. He wasn't sure why. Except that, he felt like he was betrayed by him in some way. Despite the time they'd spent together, he felt like he couldn't be sure how well he knew Landon.

They'd met on the car ride to the train station that would take them to school. Part of his Coven. And yet, he started to wonder if that was the case. He'd never seen Landon before that day. It seemed, given his work as a maid, that he would have seen him before that journey. Then again, it was a big Coven... maybe it was possible?

Lynx thought about the day he first shifted and gained his magic when Landon was possibly there and maybe even in the woods when he was with Ace. He howled and Ace had howled back. though he felt someone else there that day... who? Had Landon been sent to find him? Was it possible that Landon had been sent to accompany him on the trip to the school to befriend him and possibly watch him?

No.. he didn't want to think it. He had so many other things to think about anyway. Such as Christopher being a Lycan.

Despite his best efforts to avoid believing it, there was too much evidence to ignore the idea. Lynx couldn't see why ferrowstone would be used to control the power of any normal shifter. The information about Christopher's arrival was unusual also. He'd never seen anyone else get enrolled so late in the year... And why would six students leave to bring him back unless he was a Lycan? Maybe for once, the rumors had been true.

But despite the evidence... Lynx was reluctant to believe it. He couldn't be sure why, but he kept thinking that if Christopher was a Lycan.... then... then...?

"You going to lunch?" said Mason, heading towards the door of their dorm room. Lynx had been spending more time here. He didn't like to think it was because he was trying to avoid Landon. Their makeshift study sessions had ended though.

"Not today," said Lynx. "I'm not feeling very hungry."

"Fair enough," said Mason. "I'll bring you back a sandwich in case you get hungry later."

"Thanks, Mason," said Lynx. And as the door clicked closed, he rolled onto his belly on his bed and opened the leather-bound book. He needed answers, and this seemed the only place left to get them.

"It didn't say a whole lot really," said Lynx. He and Mason were sitting in an upstairs study room, but they weren't studying. There was a sense of novelty about using a study space just for sitting and chatting.

Lynx had brought a plate of fruit, cheese, and apples from the dining area. He wasn't sure if that was against the rules.. but, today, he wouldn't have cared if it was. He was feeling more and more as if ..everything in his life had been a bit too much. And now... maybe he just needed to do what he wanted for a while... rules be damned.

He couldn't explain this new defiance even to himself.

"Did it say anything about the prophecy or the lycans?" said Mason .

"No, but it had information about Lycan and Hybrid skills..." said Lynx. "But then again, most of them can be seen in shifters and witches also. The only new information was about Male Lycans of the same pack."

"So Christopher might be a Lycan then?!" said Mason, sounding excited.

"Maybe," said Lynx. He didn't know why he was feeling a bit weird. "It talked about how male Lycans are different to the females. Particularly in development. It said that the power of either gender is different the males are stronger then the females."

"What do you mean development?"

"Well, it only mentioned a few things really... about how their werewolf form, or forms as the case may be a generally lighter color compared to general shifters. And the males tend to be whiter than other shifters in their animal forms. It also said that the males and females can be...late to shift."