Chapter Fourteen

Wednesday dawned bright and much too early for Lynx's liking. General Agility turned out to be much nicer than his fighting defense class, but it still left him feeling exhausted.

And now today was another new class. Abilities class. He hoped it didn't require any physical exertion.

Despite his discomfort, he did have a new sense of determination, however. He'd thought about it so much last night. About potentially getting kicked out for not having magic, or maybe just for his subpar performances in his classes thus far.

But he didn't have anywhere to go if he got kicked out somehow... And he certainly wouldn't be in a better position to help out his loved ones from the Zarkov Coven.

Furthermore, he'd dreamt of an opportunity like this for years and years, and now it was here... he couldn't give up on it just because it was hard, or just because he didn't feel he was suited for it.

Maybe despite hus disadvantages... if he put his mind to it... if he practiced in off-hours.. maybe he could get to where he needed to go.

Classes went from 9 am to 12 pm, and 2 pm to 5 pm every weekday. He wondered if he could fit his eating for the day in the 12 to 2 window. This could create a three-hour window before and after his classes for the day when he could study, practice, and work to be the best he could be.

And with that in mind, he got out of bed, even though it was only 5 am, so he could prepare for the day.

He was quiet as he packed up his backpack and headed out the door. He paused only momentarily to slide a note through the gap under Landon's door, telling him not to expect him for breakfast.

"My parents were witches," Lynx said to himself in a determined way as he walked down the empty stone corridor towards the flight of stairs that would take him to the third floor and the library. "There must be a way that I can use magic too." And surely the library, massive as it was, would have the answers he needed to make that a reality.

He just wished the sickly feeling and cough would subside.

'I've never been sick before,' said a thought in the back of his mind, but Lynx pushed the thought away. Maybe this witch does have magic. Or maybe his magic wouldn't kick in until he figured out how to use it for the first time, he could just have no mana.

"Anything is possible," he said to himself, as he stepped into the incredible library space.

The abilities class took the form of a lecture today. The room was smaller than other classes. And instead of desks, there were only 5 couches, and a table that the teacher, Mrs. Hetherson, stood referencing her notes.

The smaller space made sense when the second bell rang, and there were only eight students there.

Lynx looked around at the others. Most of them, including Ace.. who had a couch to himself since no one seemed to want to share, had either black or grey Class markers. There was one with purple too, and there was one guy with light hair with a blue one, who looked like he thought he might be in the wrong class.

Lynx couldn't blame him. There was a silent power in the space. Not just from the Lycan but.. from the group. Lynx wondered what their rankings might have been before coming here. Future leaders of their respective packs and covens surely.

He thought of the Priestess of his coven.. his old coven, he corrected. She was easily one of the weaker Priestesses he recognized now. He never would have imagined himself being in a situation like this. Not even to be serving coffee, and muffins.

He almost laughed at the thought but coughed instead. He couldn't help but feel like he was getting sicker. He felt tired and congested. And yet, he was determined to stay focused and take notes.

Mrs. Hetherson told them about how werewolf abilities and magic control start in the mind and with controlling emotion. Lynx thought about the book he'd been reading earlier, in one of the library's private study rooms, which said something similar about gaining magic.

The teacher talked about the mind being like a field of wheat, and that we must learn how to create new pathways in unfamiliar directions despite the wheat in the way, and despite the unknowns that we all must face.

By the end of the lesson, Lynx was feeling that even though he was one of the lowest students, it didn't mean that he didn't belong. Maybe he could do this. Just lunch and Energy Control class and then he'd have time to practice his mindfulness and maybe... maybe the time had come for his magic to come at long last.

...Maybe.