generational

NOW PLAYING:

Angels -- A$AP ROCKY

"Tryna be the motherfucka that you couldn't."

Rae's mom was an alcoholic. It might be a little too early to tell but, maybe that's where she gets it from.

At certain points in her life she hated alcohol, considering how it changed her mom, but when she took her first shot and almost choked on the bitter taste. She got it.

Sometimes Rae would pretend her life was a movie and the camera would zoom in on her face whilst she looked at her mom who was passed out on the sofa, bottles and remote on the table and the tv playing at a unbelievably loud volume. A strange sense of déjà vu enclosed around her as she remembered the times she was thirteen, eleven, six, grabbing the remote and turning the tv off.

As much as she loved her dad he wasn't any better, she was 90% sure he was cheating on her mom. How did she know? She went through his phone. The messages were scandalous and downright vomit worthy. Lots of weird heart and kissy face emojis, ew.

So her brother was her last hope, they were close, always have been. He never disappointed her, not like how her mom or dad did.

After Aiza's party Rae found herself in some sketchy ass alley way, her legs were crossed as she sat down leaning against the cold brick wall. Street lights gently gave a warm glow to the plants growing from cracks in the concrete.

All the fun was over. She grabbed her phone and squinted at the brightness, turning it down.

She quickly felt the phone vibrate in her hand as she called her brother.

"Can you pick me up?" Rae put the phone on speaker and spoke.

She heard a groan from the other end and then,
"Where you at?"

_______________________

She felt the wind rush past her face and her arms as she sat in the passenger seat with the window down.

Rae looked down and saw a box of Perc 30s in the car pocket. Usually she'd just ignore it and pretend he was completely sober, but tonight's was far from usual
"Can you stop doing drugs?"

"Can you stop getting drunk?" Her brother mimicked her.

They sat in silence for a little while before he spoke again,
"We're cursed, Rae."

He pulled into the driveway of their house and looked to his left, she was already sleeping.

_______________________

Aiza woke up to a thudding headache playing on repeat. Once again she had loose memories from the night before...

An overwhelming feeling of worry accompanied the words of someone, whoever it was saying, "Shh.".
Who was it?

Miles then entered the room and he talked as she laughed, he recounted the time he beat someone up over her.

"I got you like that."

Those words made her feel something special, looming over the contrasting panic from before. They gave her warmth, a sense of individuality.