Chapter 18

Author's POV

Flashback (6 years ago)

"10 points for Thammasat University!", shouted the announcer as the crowd erupted in thunderous cheers and applause.

"Now we have both the universities at an equally competitive standing in this extempore competition," the announcer continued. "Chulalongkorn University needs to give a strong speech to secure the first place on this competition!"

The atmosphere was electric as the debaters from Chulalongkorn University prepared to present their last extempore speech. A guy with a well-groomed appearance and confident demeanour stepped up to the podium.

"So, now we have the last debater from Chulalongkorn University for the last speech of the day. What's your name Nong?", the announcer asked as he gave the mic to the guy.

"My name is Porsche Pachara. And today, I am here to deliver the speech that will secure victory for Chulalongkorn University," Porsche confidently declared into the microphone. The crowd erupted in loud cheers and applause.

"Whoa! I like your confidence Nong", the announcer said. "Now let's see what the judges chose for you, a question or a speech"

Porsche took a deep breath and looked at the judges. The judges silently deliberated before turning towards him and giving him a smile. Porsche gulped as he saw them smile because for him it felt like a sign if impending challenge.

"Porsche", one of the judges said. "We have chosen a question for you to answer."

"Khab. I am ready for your question, Khun.", Porsche said with a determined face but nobody knew how his heart was racing inside.

Meanwhile, a man in audience looked at Porsche with a sleek smile because he could see the fire and passion in Porsche's nervous eyes.

"So, Porsche, you see this is the new era, where people are accepting other people for who they really are without any hate or discrimination. This has benefitted the LGBTQ+ community greatly. People are supporting Gay and Lesbian marriages nowadays and it's been accepted widely by everyone. They say that now the LGBTQ+ community has the same rights and opportunities as everyone else in society. Right?", asked the judge.

"Khab", Porsche responded.

"So, in your opinion, do you think that they really have attained the same equal rights as everyone else in the society, or is there still work to be done?", asked the judge.

Porsche took a deep breath and smiled.

"As a proud person of the LGBTQ+ community myself, I believe that from the past few years we have made significant progress towards achieving equality and acceptance. But still there are work that needs to be done." Porsche said.

"What changes do you think still need to be made in order to achieve equal acceptance of Gay and Lesbian marriages in society?"

Porsche chuckled and said, "I think the first and foremost change that would bring equality to the LGBTQ+ community among the society is when we stop calling it "Gay marriages or Lesbian marriages" and start calling it simply "marriages," because we never say "straight marriages". Why the distinction if we are equal in our rights?"

The crowd erupted in loud cheers and clapping as they resonated with Porsche's words. The judges too clapped and gave Porsche a standing ovation for his insightful response.

The man too clapped as he admired Porsche's courage and wisdom.

"That was an amazing response!", the announcer said. "Now let's see how much points do Porsche gets which may decide the fate of Chulalongkorn University"